Particle Photon led stuck on solid white, factory reset procedure not working

@Moors7: Thanks very much for trying, but this still is not doing anything.

New Approach: Is there any way to do a full factory reset via dfu?

@Moors7

Yes, I was able to get into DFU last night and upgrade to 0.4.3.rc2.

After rebooting the Photon I longer have the loop I described earlier, however the Photon now constantly flashes green.

RESOLVED: device keys and cloud settings got messed up. once this was fixed photon back online and connected

1 Like

Hi
I received a photon today and have had a similar issue. All went fine until trying to flash from the ide. It flashed purple for several minutes and then started breathing purple. I found similar issues had been resolved by flashing from the particle cli so tried that.

Now the photon is stuck on continuous white but it will still enter dfu mode. I have tried re-updating the firmware several times on windows and linux with no joy in that although it appears to complete the update the photon always reverts to solid white.
I have tried to reset it a couple of times again to no avail.

Could you try particle flash --usb tinker while connected and in dfu mode?

Thanks, that definitely made a difference. It is a great relief to find that I have not bricked it as per the factory reset issue reported on the forum! But there is still an issue.
Initially it returned to white but then I put it back into dfu mode and ran particle update. It started flashing blue and I went through the process of reclaiming it and testing tinker.
Next step was to try to flash an ide app blink an led. That worked fine (firmware 0.4.4 was selected). I then successfully flashed the photon with some of my other apps and they tested ok.
However when I try to flash a particular app it will flash but stick with the white led again and the only solution is to flash tinker with particle cli. Therefore it appears to be something wrong with my code or the libraries that I am using.
These are apps that work perfectly with my spark cores and the ide does not throw any errors. I was under the impression that the photon is backwards compatible with core code, is that definitely the case?
Now it is apparently working I will try to pinpoint what is causing this and report back if I find anything.

Glad to hear it’s somewhat working again.
With the ‘problematic’ app, could you give ‘safe mode’ a try to see if that works for you. That should allow you to reprogram it OTA without having to reconfigure everything.

1 Like