Open Lighting Architecture and ArtNet integration

Has any one made any more progress on this subject? @Jeff When you mentioned you use a Rasberry Pi with OLA, would you be interested in sharing your progress?

Honestly, I gave up. I could never get it working on the Core. Even when things would start to work it would run out of memory.

Perhaps the Photon would be a better fit, but I found some custom silicon on AliExpress which did the job over Ethernet, and cheaper too.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Thatā€™s fair enough. Iā€™m just starting into particle and your thread here has kept my interest for sure. Did you end up having success at all? Would you mind sharing what you did? Iā€™m really curious lol.

Iā€™d love to be able to have 3-5 (or more one day) wrist bands with an LED and receiver. Then send out custom lighting patterns to all the different nodes.

Have a good day!

I tried most of the arduino ArtNet libraries floating around the net but they almost always ran out of memory without even running, and trying to get it to parse UDP packets directly also ran out of memory. This was on the Core though, so perhaps one of them will work with the new Particle hardware

Iā€™ve recently been working on this too and I ported an Art-Net library for Arduino. Iā€™ve tested it on a Photon and a Readbear Duo and both work flawlessly. It can receive full 512 byte frames and in the included example it controls the built-in RGB LED using Art-Net.

It is on Github and I published it in the Web IDE under the name ā€œArtnetā€.

2 Likes

Hello @Stef thanks for your port,Iā€™m having some problem compiling your ArtnetNeoPixel.ino, it asks for the follwoing libraries:
Ethernet.h
EthernetUdp.h
SPI.h
Adafruit_NeoPixel.h

I tried using the ported NeoPixel Library but the rest only seem to be for Arduino. I tried the Arduino versions and keep having to add all sorts of other libraries. They obveously need to ported, Am I going the right way about this?
Thanks

Since thereā€™s no Ethernet one any of the particle devices, that one shouldnā€™t be necessary. SPI is included by default if Iā€™m not mistaken. If you remove those, that shouldnā€™t cause too many issues.
On second thought, there seems to be another example, without those specific includes. Have you tried that one yet?

Hi @Moors7 I have tried Callback, However Iā€™m not sure what I need to define within it. I see that there are some values for universe and RGB control, but Im not sure what else to define. Iā€™m hoping to control a strip of SK6812 RGBW LEDs. My apologies Iā€™m new to programming.