Disabling Status LED

if I'm building locally do I need to do anything specific to check this? Does it update itself automatically? I'm using a combination of Cores and Photons by the way. Thanks

Iā€™m running CLI 1.29.0 - I guess I have two questions

1. How do I know what version of system firmware my device is running if they are in the field and canā€™t be connected by USB to Putty
  2. Is 0.6.1 even available for CLI building yet?

Hmm, 0.7.0 is the default verision CLI would target, so the "yet" puzzles me a bit :wink:

However, you can build for any target version - even pre-release ones - by adding the --target #.#.# switch.

Hi @ScruffR Iā€™m confused - it sounds like I should be targeting 0.7.0 with CLI 1.29.0 then, so I donā€™t know why Iā€™m getting the error
"theme does not name a type"
unless the code @jack4566 posted is not complete somehow or needs to be put in a specific place?

What is your exact build command?
Can you post your complete code?

LEDSystemTheme theme; // Enable custom theme
theme.setColor(LED_SIGNAL_NETWORK_ON, RGB_COLOR_WHITE); 
theme.apply(); // Apply theme settings

void setup() {

}

void loop() {
}

ā€œparticle compile core .ā€

These lines are "active" code which can only exist inside a function.

1 Like

so to expand that:

void setup() {
  theme.setColor(LED_SIGNAL_NETWORK_ON, RGB_COLOR_WHITE); 
}

void loop() {
}
4 Likes

Thatā€™s brilliant @BulldogLowell and @ScruffR, it compiles now, please excuse my ignorance.
The only problem isā€¦it has no effect! Core still happily breathing cyan! Iā€™m tempted to try it on a Photon to see if thatā€™s the problemā€¦

@Dave or @rickkas7 - unfortunately my Photon is on loan it turns out - are you able to advise if the Core is compatible with the LED Signalling feature?
Thanks

Hi @netpex,

I donā€™t know off the top of my head about the theme stuff, but the RGB.control stuff should work: https://docs.particle.io/reference/firmware/core/#rgb

it definitely works on photon:

void setup() {
  theme.setColor(LED_SIGNAL_CLOUD_CONNECTED, RGB_COLOR_WHITE); // breathes white when cloud connected
}

void loop() {
}

Further down the page

it is very much implied the signalling theme stuff should work on the Core. Hmmmmm. Not sure what to try. This isn't urgent but if anyone has a Core and a few minutes would they mind trying some code on their device if I post it? See if it works for them?

If you posted the code, someone couldā€™ve already tried, rather than waiting for an ā€œI could try itā€ :wink:

1 Like

Sorry @Moors7, the exact code is the working-for-Photon code BulldogLowell posted

It's definitely not working for my Core.

Just to be uber clear, THIS is the code:

void setup() {
  theme.setColor(LED_SIGNAL_CLOUD_CONNECTED, RGB_COLOR_WHITE); // breathes white when cloud connected
}

void loop() {
}

Before proceding with that weā€™d need a confirmation of @Dave (or @rickkas7 if he knows) whether the theming is supposed to work at all on Coreā€™s.

If it should but doesnā€™t then thatā€™d be bound to be an issue to be looked into.
You could maybe backtrack system versions whether there was one where it worked and where it broke.

However, when the compiler doesnā€™t puke at the code, it should work IMO.

Unfortunaltely I canā€™t do any Core tests anymore - someone else got my Cores now :wink:

@ScruffR :wink:

Given that itā€™s a documented Core feature surely it should be intended to work? Unless the documentation was erroneously copy pastaā€™d from the Photon? :wink:

Iā€™ve got a few Spark Cores laying aroundā€¦ Iā€™ll test the example code here shortly. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

OK! I just tested this on my core, and itā€™s now breathing white when cloud connected as expected:

Thanks,
David

2 Likes

Thanks @David - sorry for the faff - must be something going on at my end then. Iā€™ll see what I can find outā€¦