Connect photon to azure without webhooks

Hi @RWB,

I’m not sure where this falls on the roadmap yet, but I’ll ping the team about it.

Thanks!
David

@Dave Does the comment copied from above mean that if I have 1000 Photons/Electrons online sending data to Azure Event Hubs every 60 seconds that your system will only allow 120 webhook events to send out of 1000 every 60 seconds?

I've used webhooks and they're great but the limit of 120 requests/minute/host is going to be an issue for us. The whole point of Event Hubs/IoT Hubs is scalability towards hundreds of thousands of events per minute - limiting it to 120 defeats the object of using the hubs in the first place.

Or is the 120 webhooks per min only applied to each individual Photon/Electron?

Hi @RWB,

At the moment, the host limit applies to the host, so any hooks from any accounts hitting that exact host will be counted towards that limit specific to that unique host. That limit is there to protect against accidental spamming of an external service. If you need more for a given site, just send us an email at hello@particle.io (we’ll have a better system down the road), and we’ll increase the host limit for ya. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
David

@dave Thanks for the quick reply!

Nice to know this will not be a problem down the road.

So this will not be an issue even if I end up not setting these up under a Product in the Particle Console.

I plan on coding, so the device only publishes if data values have changed to prevent sending updates when there haven’t been any status changes. That also cuts my cost down with the Azure Event Hub, Stream Analytics, and Table Database cost.

I ended up getting all the Azure stuff setup and your right about it not being that complicated to setup once you get the hang of how it’s done. :smiley:

I’ve been sending two webhooks per min for a week now, and Particle and Azure are working perfectly!

Hi

I noticed that Azure have created a library for Arduino devices to connect to IOTHub directly : https://github.com/arduino-libraries/AzureIoTHub. Given that devices like Feather, Thing and Huzzah can now connect directly, I think Particle should find a way also.

We send sensor data via MQTT every second and can’t afford to lose latency though an intermediary like the Particle Cloud.

Any news on whether this will be possible with photons and electrons soon ?

cheers

Many people have asked for this recently including me and it’s not something that is going to happen soon so best to look for a different solution if you need to avoid the Particle cloud and you have to use secure MQTT.

Got it, thanks. I’ll look into alternative devices. Shame as I have 25 photons here that were never used in a previous project.

Old post I know, but how about using azure functions with http input binding. You can push you data into iothub from there or straight into storage or power bi.

Bump to an old thread.

Here is a tutorial I wrote up about saving Photon data into Azure’s SQL Server database for visualizing in Tableau.

Part 1 - Overview & Architecture

Part 2 - Technical Details

Hopefully this helps the community!
Gordon