Local Network Mode?

Because you provided a code snippet and indicated you'd like it working and my suggestion would have provided exactly this.

But what I’m trying to put forward is the necessity of context for learning.
If I ask 'How do I add 2 + 2' and you say 'the answer is 4', I don’t learn anything. It’s roughly equivalent to saying 'because I said so'.

In a community of practice which should be supporting each other through discussion and education, context is important.

Does not quite sound like

And my answer was definetly more elaborate than "the answer is 4, because I say so".

If you had asked for the "why?" (my suggestion should have helped) than just dismissing it and repeating

the level of detail might have been presented earlier.

This community tries to give people what they ask for. Some only want a quick fix, others want more background, others again just want to vent off frustration.
With a clear indication of what one is looking for the response can be made accordingly.

3 Likes

But forums are repositories for knowledge. If a fully detailed answer is presented then there will be use for it in the future. Otherwise the same questions will likely come back over and over.

These are examples of giving what people ask for? Why is it so much to ask that this level of detail is given in response to a query? I do appreciate the info about flash wear BUT i'm supposed to ask 'why' to get more details for my actual query?

Here's how the whole thing could have been presented:

If you want to use WiFi, you should wait for it like this:
  WiFi.connect();

while (!WiFi.ready())
    Particle.process();
  Particle.process();  // once more to allow for IP being transfered
                      // from WiFi module to user space 

The IP address CAN BE acquired without Particle.process(), but since you are dealing with asynchronous tasks here, you need some means to allow for the one task (by the WiFi module) to sync its works with your application task and one possible means for that is Particle.process() another one would be a delay(1000) or dropping out of setup()/loop().

Presented this way, people who will have similar questions will be able to find the information in a concise and useful fashion.

I hope I don't sound sarcastic when I say I DO appreciate the help this thread has been, I did after all get what I wanted to work working, but I cannot understate how much time we ALL used to get here.

I know this thread is not necessarily the appropriate space to be critical about how a community operates BUT I see many issues with the way things have been handled and i'd prefer to try to improve things so that everyone starting with a Photon feels like this place is actually helpful.

Because we Elites are donating our free time to answer your questions and I for my part would prefer to receive a "thank you! But how about ...?" rather than a "Why have you not given me a full tutorial session about everything I haven't explicitly asked for immediately?"

2 Likes

This is my point. Why not use it wisely?