What version of C++ does the latest Particle firmware use/support?

What version of C++ does the latest Particle firmware (1.4.x) use/support? I know it at least supports c++11, but what about newer versions like 14? I’ve searched quite a bit looking for this answer, but it seems to not be documented anywhere.

I see gnu++11 in the full build output, which lets you inspect the full compiler command line. Keep in mind they are using a specific GCC 5.3 embedded arm tool-chain.

Edit: In device-os/build/lang-std.mk I see CPPFLAGSS += std=gnu++14 and CONLYFLAGS += -std=gnu11.

What that means is it’s basically C++11C++14, plus some gnu-specific extensions and perhaps some features from newer C++, and C11 plus gnu extensions for C source files

This is touching on this PR from back in April which was merged in May into v1.2.1

Referenced in the OS Updates Thread

Correct. It was previously C++11, but now it’s C++14 with Device OS 1.2.1 and later.

https://docs.particle.io/reference/device-os/firmware/#language-syntax

Also, gcc-arm compiler will be upgraded from 5.3.1 to 8.3.1 soon, as well. This will only be for targeting new versions of Device OS. Older versions will continue to use 5.3.1.

1 Like

Do you plan to enable (or allow enabling) more recent C++ standards after the tool-chain update?

Good to know. Thank you.