Trying to use an early photon - can't connect to home WiFi

I went to my drawer to get another photon to continue working on a project and I found one of the very-early photons, you know the ones on green PCB’s. Anyway I think the boot loader may be old because I can’t get it to connect to the internet. I can talk with it find over the USB and the photon mobile app, it connects just fine to it’s own AP, but can’t connect to the one in my house. No problem with other photons (black PCB) so after a bit of research it appears there was a problem early with WiFi settings. I also can’t do

make all PLATFORM=photon program-dfu

I get an error - bytesdfu-util: Error during special command “ERASE_PAGE” get_status

Is there any way to recover this photon?

I've never seen one of those, and I got mine as early as possible at Particle HQ :scream: Are you sure it's not a Spark Core?

If it's indeed a photon, try updating the system firmware with particle update and particle flash --usb tinker. Then give particle serial wifi a try in listening mode (after you've removed all credentials my holding setup for ~10 seconds). If that connects you'll still have to claim it with particle device add [ID], where the ID is obtainable from particle identify while in listening mode.

Thanks Moors7, I appreciate the response. I’m pretty sure it’s a photon. The 3300 did not look like this :smile:

This device should work, I think I just need to unlock flash pages (maybe) and get the latest version of the boot loader on it.

It looks like a photon indeed. I guess that would then be something for either @mdma or @BDub to assist with, since that thing looks ancient :wink:

1 Like