T-Mobile 200M data plan for life

Hi everyone,

I’m writing about the Electron upcoming release. This is in context of TM’s 200M free data plans. Of course there is a catch: one must activate the SIM under the IMEI which will be used with the 200M plan. The activation is a web GUI with plenty of java script etc so activation can’t really occur using some kind of Lynx style text browser. I am pointing that out in the probable suggestion to use the Electron as a modem and serial terminal arrangement to activate.

So will the Electron allow one to edit its IMEI? That way one can activate the SIM using a typical USB stick and then once activated move the SIM onto the Electron and change the IMEI with that one used for the activation?

Is the IMEI supposed to be edited in the first place? :smiley: newbie question!

I’m sure there is a super duper answer but I should have included a similar paradox earlier; is a MAC address supposed to be editable? Whatever the “proper” answer might be in reality it is editable whether the gods meant it that way or not. So I was asking the same exact question but for the Electron’s IMEI?

I am almost positive that an IMEI cannot be changed. Also, it looks pretty clear that this is designed specifically for tablets, so even if you could figure out how to do something like this, it’d definitely be scamming the carriers — not really a behavior that we condone!

1 Like

Is it?

I don’t know what you had in mind and I don’t know the terms and conditions for this DP, but when I take my tablet or phone - which can activate the plan -, these devices could also act as APs for other devices (unless TaC does not permit tethering and/or you are forced to use a device that couldn’t) and I wouldn’t see a lot of difference in this and the suggested use of the Electron.

I’m doing something similar, but the other way round to overcome the inability of the Core to connect via captive portals. I spoof my rooted phones MAC address to pretend to be one of my Cores, have it do the CP login, then switch it off and let the Core take over its IP - and it works with most CPs I’ve tried so far.
I don’t see a scam in that, it’s just a way to overcome a technical limitation, that the CP admin couldn’t know or care for. And this is how I understand the OP’s question.

1 Like

I also don’t see how it would be scamming, data rates etc are much lower on the electron than a tablet (I assume). Of course, it’s not supposed to be done but it’s not scamming in my opinion, just using it in a different way it was intended.

1 Like

I wasn’t familiar with this deal from T-Mobile until seeing this thread, but it’s pretty clear to me that it’s designed only for tablets, and not intended to be used for other cellular applications. The safeguards that @bubba198 are trying to get around are the safeguards that T-Mobile put in place to ensure that this free plan is only used on tablets, so breaking those safeguards in order to get free service sure feels like scamming them to me!

2 Likes

I tried to use this T-Mobile plan for my Audi’s Google Map navigation. The car has a SIM card slot. The guy at T-Mobile said it will not work because it has to be activated on the device via its browser (which doesn’t exist)…

So I don’t think it will work.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, NetZero has Wifi hotspots and 200mb free plans. I haven’t tried them with :spark:, but stands to reason that they’d work fine. Looks like you have to buy a hotspot from them, cheapest one is $100 (the sale price is only for paid plans). Ugh, reading on, free plan expires after 12 months for a specific device, have to upgrade to a paid plan at that point… Well, in the end it’s $8.33 a month for a year, still not bad, but maybe more of a PITA than it’s worth. Can’t wait for Electrons - I’ll happily pay my $3!!!

2 Likes

I must agree; scamming would be to mooch more data than one could such as once upon a time it was the case with the unlimited data plans for tables. Obviously the thinking was that a tablet won’t be able to generate much traffic so plugging that SIM into a laptop or a hot spot would be a perfect scam. Here the 200M will barely touch even half the limit when used with Electron. It’s actually the opposite usage probability – less than a tablet and tablet was what they intended… In a follow-up to my own research I wanted to add the following: after talking to T-Mobile it appears that they would be happy to activate any device they consider compatible. If a device isn’t on their list just yet one submits the FCC ID and TAC of the manufacturer and they would approve it as long as it is data-only device.

1 Like