Strategies for grading projects?

I now have a class of students working with Photons and … just got around to thinking about how to grade them :scream: I’d like to stick with the Web IDE, but I’m not sure how to efficiently grade them – downloading each project, pasting it into my own account and compiling it seems awkward, to say the least.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3 Likes

Have them gold a 5 minute presentation highlighting the original goal, difficulties faced, solutions found and a working demo. You can have them think of ways to improve, or have them ponder what they would’ve done differently, or had rather done.
Try to do it in a way that’ll give you feedback about the class as well (what was difficult, what woul they have liked to see, etc.) it’s a learning experience for both parties, and I’m unsure if there’s a strict grading system available.
It kinda depends on what they had to do. Was it a fixed exercise, could they think of something themselves? The former is easier since you’ll have specifics to check/grade, whereas the latter is more open and require more creative thought and problem solving. It’s more fun though :wink:

What kind of class is this? A programming class? mechatronics?

Trial by Forum!!!

5 Likes: A
4 Likes: B
3 Likes: C
… etc…

EDIT: accredited forum members only!!!

2 Likes

It’s currently a special topics class, and is a combination programming / maker class. I’m used to classes where students submit programs (uploading them to a learning management system like Canvas) and then my TAs can download them and run them. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to accomplish the same thing here. Later on in the semester we’ll get to more sophisticated programs and designs for which Moor7’s suggestions are a good idea, but for right now I’m looking at something more targeted.

I also like Bulldog Lowell’s suggestion: if we streamed presentations, would anyone be interested in watching them and grading them? I think that would be pretty cool to have people on this forum, who have a great deal of expertise, take a look at our projects (although be gentle: the students don’t have any experience with this sort of class before, and this is definitely a stretch class for yours truly).

3 Likes

You could look at the source code to see how efficient their code is or how well they documented stuff. You could also grade them off of how written their README’s are.

You could also grade them off of how cleanly their code is written.

We’ll definitely look at the source code, but as a quick first pass it would be nice to be able to flash the project and run it. The students could upload the code, and my TA could copy and paste into a project of his own, but I’m hoping for something more efficient … I don’t think that Particle has schools specifically in mind, but a system where a TA could see/work with projects of a specific set of users (students), that sort of thing would be awesome.

Like GitHub classroom? https://classroom.github.com

Best way to see the code is have them use github then clone the repo to your machine then flash to photon from particle Dev. Only possible hitch is changing libs to folders and fixing the includes. Complete project should have a readme explaining purpose, what should happen and whatever else. Give them a readme format and a rubrik (sp) so they can meet your expectations.

1 Like

It would also be best if the students were using Particle Dev.

Edit:
You could also use po-util to help you compile the projects locally, as long as you are not NOT on Windows.

One of the main perks in using Particle Build (Web IDE) is the relative ease of use of libraries, which can be imported there and then, which is a bit more cumbersome with Particle Dev or Particle CLI.
But that will change soon with Libraries 2.0

For building your students projects for grading, I’d not go for Dev but for CLI. Dev is fine for programming, but for your own task, maybe not.
With CLI you can batch build all projects and you do get a lot more output - including warings (with some workaround), which may not prevent a build but for good coding style getting rid of them as good as possible would be a must-have to achieve top grade.

1 Like

This is great!

I would really like to know what you decide to use as your grading rubric for this!