Spark Core IDE missing functions

Another thing the Arduino IDE has is a dead simple serial monitor. If one was implemented so that Serial.Print(); or System.out.print(); type statements have a command window or other viewing spot, and serial data from cores connected to the IDE is displayed, that would be perfect!

5 Likes

-make mobile/iphone/tablet working better (Nice to have)
-Display/Edit the Variables. I find it hard to work with them as i canā€™t see them.

With all the chatter of core firmware updates, a nice feature in the web IDE would be to see the latest firmware version and/or date it was updated instead of tracking commits on Github.

1 Like

After a few weeks of hacking on my cores and working with the IDE, here are a few ideas that I believe would improve the Cloud IDE.

1. Show title of the currently open application somewhere on the screen.
  2. Ability to flash multiple devices at once with the same application.
  3. Ability to include libraries or just common files between applications.
  4. It would be nice if the IDE asked to verify the selected core before flashing the device. I have multiple devices that run different applications and Iā€™m always paranoid Iā€™m going to flash the wrong device.
  5. Flashing should verify first and show any compile errors. Iā€™ve had a few wtf moments when the core says it flashes successfully but doesnā€™t actually do anything, only to realize that my code was not compiling.
  6. The compile error log should not hide automatically, instead having an X button to close would be nice. Itā€™s challenging enough to try to decipher the error messages without the error window hiding itself on editor focus.
  7. Strip out the file hash path from the compile error log, leaving just the line number and error message for better readability.

For example:

../4b4fb84232a3937b65ac2bc1cabd5bb8f2e7207f404599a7fd552a4cb7aa/the_user_app.cpp:4:24: error: variable or field 'someOtherFunction' declared void
../4b4fb84232a3937b65ac2bc1cabd5bb8f2e7207f404599a7fd552a4cb7aa/the_user_app.cpp:4:24: error: 'MyClass' was not declared in this scope
../4b4fb84232a3937b65ac2bc1cabd5bb8f2e7207f404599a7fd552a4cb7aa/the_user_app.cpp: In function 'void setup()':
../4b4fb84232a3937b65ac2bc1cabd5bb8f2e7207f404599a7fd552a4cb7aa/the_user_app.cpp:19:28: error: 'someOtherFunction' was not declared in this scope
make: *** [../4b4fb84232a3937b65ac2bc1cabd5bb8f2e7207f404599a7fd552a4cb7aa/the_user_app.o] Error 1

to something like this would be more readable:

4:24: error: variable or field 'someOtherFunction' declared void
4:24: error: 'MyClass' was not declared in this scope
In function 'void setup()':
19:28: error: 'someOtherFunction' was not declared in this scope
make: *** Error 1

Otherwise, fantastic job all around. Really having fun with my Spark Cores!

4 Likes

Or maybe auto hide, but an easy way to pop it back up if there are errors only. Maybe click a thin pullout at the bottom and it pops back up. I like my space when scrolling and editing :smile:

+1

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback; weā€™ll definitely take all this into account!

A "pin" icon would suffice so that it would auto-hide for you automatically, but if I want it to stay I can pin it open.

1 Like

Yay, scrolling has been added!

1 Like

Some kind of Version Control would be very nice too, so you can easily roll back to a working state after screwing up your code.

Simply saving a snapshot of the current code with some descriptive tag will make a nice start, but integration with e.g. GitHub/BitBucket would be even better. The folks at Cloud9 IDE did a great job on that: https://c9.io/

That's what the :star: next to the Core names are for. If you highlight the star next to multiple Cores before choosing an app and hitting flash, then all the starred Cores will get flashed with the same app.

Did we lose our scrolling window feature already for My Apps? As long as we are talking about adding it back, can we make a container that automatically spans the vertical height of the browser window (minus the Current App and Example Apps space)ā€¦ so it would look something like this:

Some white space at the top could be trimmed down as well :smile:

2 Likes

Maybe small-caps instead of all-caps? I feel like my apps are yelling at me (and they have every right to be).

1 Like

I cant highlight more then one star in my IDE. Is this functionality rolled out to everyone?

also opening the Cores to review the Core ID, if you have to many of them open you cant reach the bottom ones. Would be nice to have this scrollable.

2 Likes

Hi @sjunnesson,

Looks like you canā€™t select more than one yet, Iā€™ll file some bugs for these

Iā€™m sure you know this already, but the new feature that stickies the error message to a panel that can pop back up does not clear itself after compiling without errors. You can still click it and the old errors are there. The feature is handy though to quickly reference without recompiling, when you still have errors that isā€¦ :smile:

1 Like

Hey Guys,

Just popping in to say that we deployed some updates to the compile server today. It should handle pre-processor comments better, urls in strings, etc. It should also do a better job of telling you the correct line # errors are on, and it shouldnā€™t show you the long path names when showing errors. Onwards and upwards!

Thanks!
David

5 Likes

ā€œLet there be libraries!ā€

Great thing. I do like them! Big step forward!

Thanks,

Frido.

1 Like

Scroll bar on the :spark: Sparkulator Apps window is back, thank you!!! Much better to just scroll the whole panel, I like it!!!

1 Like