[SOLVED]It doesn't look like your Photon has made it to the cloud yet

Hi guys. I cannot seem to get my brand new Photon connected to the cloud. I followed the steps as laid out in the documentation and I keep getting the following message:

? Would you like to return this computer to the wireless network you just configured? Yesnfigured? (Y/n) y
! It doesn't look like your Photon has made it to the cloud yet.

? What would you like to do? (Use arrow keys)
❯ Reconfigure the Wi-Fi settings of the Photon 
  Check again to see if the Photon has connected 

No matter how many times I try, I get the same message. The led flashes blue the entire time. Please help me out.

I’m running OSX 10.10.5

Are telling it the security type in use? Like WPA etc? I’ve seen where people in past couldn’t get a device to connect until they specified the security type instead of auto.

@sugoisauce,

• place the in DFU mode
  • run particle update
  • once done, hold the SETUP button until it blinks blue
  • particle setup again and see how it goes

Hi @kennethlimcp so I have followed your steps. And I am getting the same issue. However the led now flashes green as I try to connect.

Yup, I’ve tried both ways…still no luck

Are you on Windows?

Can you hit the reset button and see if the Photon enters breathing cyan state?

I’m running Mac OSX v 10.10.5.

After following your instructions I have the same issue except now, the led flashes green while trying to connect rather than staying blue.

Hitting reset turns the led white for a second and then it continues flashing green.

Ok cool.

Do you know about homebrew? If you use that it will be easy to install DFU-util. I have a tutorial if yoy search the forum (im on mobile) then the commands i mentioned earlier should work fine

Yup, I actually just figured that step out, thanks. The issue is not resolved though. Led flashes green now though.

What kind of router setup are you using? The Photon can only handle 2.4GHz. If you’ve got an accesspoint which has both 2.5GHz and 5GHz with the same name, that might be the cause.
If possible, could you try setting up a hotspot with your phone, and try to connect it to that? That might rule out some potential issues with the router.

My router does have both 2.5GHz and 5GHz but one is named NETGEAR75 and the other is NETGEAR75-5G. I just tried setting up using a hotspot on my phone. Rather than the message “It doesn’t look like your photon has made it to the cloud yet”, the following is displayed over and over again. Light still flashing green.

Would you like to return this computer to the wireless network you just configured? Yes
! Network not ready yet, retrying...

@ Attempting to verify the Photon's connection to the cloud...

Alright, could you hold the setup button for about 10 seconds until the LED starts blinking blue rapidly. Then, when it’s back to normal blinking blue, do a particle identify in the CLI, and copy the ID you get. Then try a particle serial wifi from the CLI, after which you go through the steps. If everything works like it should, it should enter breathing cyan. If so, do a particle device add [ID], in which you replace the [ID] with the one you copied.
Let me know if that worked for you.

After I go the through the steps for particle serial wifi, the led blinks cyan. When I try particle device add, I get the following message.

Failed to claim device, server said  { ok: false, errors: [ 'Device is not connected' ] }

Blinking cyan means that it’s connected to wifi, but has trouble reaching the cloud. Are you perhaps blocking any ports on your router, of have other measures in place to secure your network?
Is there a chance that there are other colors blinking in between the blinking cyan, orange in particular?

yes i see orange in there.

Alright, for some reason, your keys have been corrupted. No idea why, but that’s what blinking orange indicates. To get them working again, could you try the steps as they are described here: https://docs.particle.io/support/troubleshooting-support/photon/#how-to-change-your-key-
Let me know if that worked for you. (if it gets to breathing cyan after that)

Yup! My particle is now breathing cyan! Now how should I proceed? I’m scared to try reset and connect with my phone.

Resetting it shouldn’t hurt, that’ll only wipe the credentials.
But you can also place your device in listening mode and do particle identify, then do particle device add [ID] with the ID you got from the previous command.

It worked! Is there anything else I should do or need to know at this point, or can I just resume the setup instructions as if everything was running smoothly?

1 Like

Basically your device setup is done. Is the Photon breathing cyan?