Since new firmware Yesterday, I am unable to successfully load voodoospark

I am trying to finalize the voodoospark firmware for a major rollout. With the recent changes our “last version” now runs out of memory and our “previously working version” does not seem to even download to the device. Can someone at Spark (or even someone with a different core) and more knowledge than I attempt to run this firmware and provide some troubleshooting assistance. I am at a loss at this point. To test it, use spark-io project and the eg/blink.js example with your SPARK_DEVICE_ID and SPARK_TOKEN set as environment variables. This was all working beautifully yesterday, please help!!!

1 Like

We’ll look into this asap!

edit: going to load and test this locally, but maybe try making the readBuffer a little smaller if it can stand it?

FYI –

The master branch has the “previously working and verified code” that has a chance of a buffer overflow. Right now I cannot even get this to flash to the device. Every time I hit flash, it seems to load up in the Tinker firmware.

The develop branch has the updated to protect against a buffer overflow code that was finished near the time of the new firmware release.

Hey @voodootikigod ,

I verified this issue by flashing the firmware link you provided in your initial post; was indeed initially broken as you described.

After that, @Dave and I looked into possible causes both in your firmware and the cloud compiler service and found a likely cause on the cloud compiler side, made a fix, and successfully re-compiled your firmware.

Things seem to be working now–please let us know if things look good on your side as well or anything else seems amiss!

@jgoggins

When you tested it it did you use the spark-io eg/blink.js?

I am not able to connect to the TCP server.

It binds the endpoint function (tested with curl “https://api.spark.io/v1/devices/{DEVICE}/endpoint?access_token={TOKEN}”) but does not allow connections to the IP:PORT combination. I left it up, over ~ 10-15 minutes it flashes bright cyan, the to flashing green. Any ideas?

No, I hadn’t tested that @voodootikigod, just the original firmware.
@zachary has been digging into blink.js for a while and will provide an update shortly.

1 Like

Just as an update, we’re still working on boiling this down to a minimal failure case, we’ll keep you posted!

Hi @voodootikigod,

I just sent you a pull request here: https://github.com/voodootikigod/voodoospark/pull/5

I’m guessing a recent addition (in our firmware) pushed your app over the ram threshold, but I think maybe you had more servo objects than the core has pins to control servos, so that’s a potentially low hanging fruit we could remove. When I tested this modification on a core with the blink example it worked great!

We’re also reviewing our base firmware to free up more ram when possible.

Thanks!
David

2 Likes