Room Automation with WeMo and IFTTT

Is there a cheaper alternative to the WeMo that is available today?
Also, I am still confused on why I need a Raspberry Pi because with the start up folder that Moors7 suggested I could just add Spotify to that folder and it would open, correct? My only problem is it to begin playing the songs. Can I use IFTTT for that?

Thanks

Is there a cheaper alternative to the WeMo that is available today?

Not that I know of. That's why I backed Hook. If you don't have a bunch of lights then you could wire it manually. What kind of light do you have, how many, and how are they connected to power?

why I need a Raspberry Pi

If you can get the Laptop method to work then you do not strictly need the Pi however it would

1. Make things easier (like turning on your lights)
  2. Be fun to play with :smile:
  3. Could run spotify so the music plays near instantly when you come downstairs
1 Like

My Dad's friend works for Hook! :smiley:

Can I do this with the Particle Core? is there any way I can do this with start-up scripts or IFTTT?

My Dad's friend works for Hook!

That awesome! Sounds like you might have an "in" for early access :smile:

Can I do this with the Particle Core? is there any way I can do this with start-up scripts or IFTTT?

Yes, the Core will trigger the event and then the Pi or Start up script can do the rest.

What will the Core trigger exactly? What would the start up script look like to start playing the playlist?

I found an forum post where the code is activated at a certain time, so can i get help to tweak this for the start up script?

#!/bin/bash

spotify 1>/dev/null 2>&1 &

sleep 3

qdbus org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.spotify / org.freedesktop.MediaPlayer2.OpenUri spotify:album:4m2880jivSbbyEGAKfITCa

Well, the Core can send out Wake On Lan packets.

As for the playlist… I’m looking into it. Do you use the web player or the desktop client?

1 Like

Desktop version. @harrisonhjones

Thank you for your help. Sorry that I couldn’t reply earlier, the back of my neck is really stiff and i have to rest :disappointed:

There are relatively cheap 433MHz plug available which you could switch using a Particle with a 433MHz transmitter. If you do a quick forum/Google search for it, there should be plenty examples available.

2 Likes

Any luck?

Success!!! :smile: It worked, perfectly @harrisonhjones How is it going with Spotify?

We might have to build something. The desktop client doesn’t look very extendable. Can you go ahead and download Node.js? and install it while making sure you also install NPM?

1 Like

Sure, quick question…can I use IFTTT to turn on the lights if I scanned an NFC tag? So if I scan an NFC Tag on the stairs, then it will turn on the WeMo lights?

Yes, that'll work. If you use the, even cheaper, 433MHz plugs, you won't even need IFTTT though, and probably save quite some money. The WeMo is about $45 per outlet, the 433 ones can be had for <$30 for five of them. Just a suggestion, whereby I must mention the WeMo will be easier to setup.
As a quick aside: IFTTT isn't a magic tool, nor a magic wand. Being able to hook some services together, doesn't mean it can hook EVERYTHING together. It's a service to combine online services. If there isn't a channel for it, it's unlikely to work.

1 Like

I installed the software, what now ? :wink:
@harrisonhjones

Ok. I’m going to try to write it tonight but in the mean time (if you want to be a part of the development) go ahead and grab a GitHub account and a copy of Git

1 Like

Hey @Moors7 and @harrisonhjones,

Thanks for your impeccable help. I just had a quick question. I am planning(maybe) on installing Hackintosh onto my laptop, and wanted your word and advice on whether this would affect any of our plans or start up scripts?

Do I need to back up all software and install it on the Hackintosh, like Word, Excel, if so how? (for hackintosh)

I wanted to do this because I like OS X Yosemite more than Windows, and feels like it increases my productivity.

Done. @harrisonhjones

It’ll affect the startup script stuff but WOL should (hopefully) still work. I’m just now starting work on the GitHub stuff. I’ll be in touch soon, hopefully tonight

1 Like

So should I go ahead and begin the process of downloading Hackintosh? I just wanted to know if it will change any of the scripts? Also, I wanted to know which version of Hackintosh is the easiest of all of them, so I can do this easily?

Would I have to redownload all of the software after Hackintosh? Like Git, Node.js, NPM and stuff…
Thanks @harrisonhjones

You would. I would seriously consider picking up a Pi if you have the scratch for it. Compiling the node-spotify library for Windows is a serious pain in the ass. If’s a question of permission you should easily be able to show the educational benefit / capability of the Pi to your folks. Here’s a good source. Only $70 for everything and Amazon Prime

I really don't need to have Spotify open and playing if it causing you trouble, because again it was just a wish.

My main focus points were :

• Turning on the lights using WeMo.
  • Turning on the computer using WOL
  • Logging in automatically
  • Opening Applications

I wanted your advice on which of the Hackintosh methods seem the easiest for me ? @harrisonhjones

1. Turning on Lights - Easy but will (ideally) require a always-on computer like a Pi. Could also use IFTTT if you are desperate
  2. Turning on the Computer - You’ve confirmed WOL works. Now you just need to put some code on the Spark Core. See this topic
  3. Logging in automatically. Easy, google it and you’ll be fine
  4. Opening applications. Could be a startup script or some node code
  5. Spotify. Still do-able but it’s just not as easy as I hoped :frowning: