Redefining pins for DHT sensor

Hi all,
I have a product that has a DHT22 sensor in it.
I had to deploy one without the right sensor, and I installed a DHT11.
It works fine if I redefine the dht type and pin.

Can I make the #define statement conditional?

Something to the effect of:

if (dht11) {
     #define DHTPIN C0    // what pin we're connected to
     #define DHTTYPE DHT11
}
else {
     #define DHTPIN D3    // what pin we're connected to
     #define DHTTYPE DHT22
}

How can I do that?
Thx

#define instructions are preprocessor instructions that have no business inside the active code.

As the name suggests, the pre-processor runs before the actual compiler run and after the preprocessor has done its job the instructions will just vanish.
Consequently your code will look like this for the compiler

if (dht11) {
     // what pin we're connected to
}
else {
}

Usually your code has a block like this at the top which defines how the code should be compiled.

#define DHTPIN 2     // what pin we're connected to
//#define DHTTYPE DHT11		// DHT 11 
#define DHTTYPE DHT22		// DHT 22 (AM2302)
//#define DHTTYPE DHT21		// DHT 21 (AM2301)
DHT dht(DHTPIN, DHTTYPE);

which will be preprocessed into

//#define DHTTYPE DHT11		// DHT 11 
// DHT 22 (AM2302)
//#define DHTTYPE DHT21		// DHT 21 (AM2301)
DHT dht(2, DHT22);

Consequently your dht object is already constructed with exactly these parameters, and if you want to change them, you’d need to destroy the object and re-construct it with the new settings.

Thanks @ScruffR,
I was afraid of that, I guess I’ll just have to keep that unit on a different firmware.
J

Nope, you have plenty other options.

One would be to instantiate the dht object at run time depending on a state of a pin or set some flag that can be stored in EEPROM which would be read on startup.

1 Like

I think I understand, so I’ll make a small function to check to see which sensor I have and then set dht Object.

Can I still use the #define in setup?

I’m using some retained variables, will that work the same as using EEPROM?

Nope, #define has no business whatsoever inside any function.

What should happen once you had a complete loss of power? Retained variables need the SRAM to be powered at all times to keep their value.

OK, so do I just use something like this to instantiate the dot object later on in code, say in the setup loop based on my EEPROM flag? And then I avoid using any #define statements

DHT dht(2, DHT22);

Something like that.
But since you can only instantiate an object inside a function, you'd need to have a global variable which you only set.
The way you wrote it there would only create a local object that'd vanish once you leave the function.

I'd declare a global DHT* dht; and then set it as needed via dht = new DHT(2, DHT22); and when calling any methods on it, it would be done this way dht->begin();.

BTW

setup() is a function not a loop.
loop() as also a function and it's name suggests that it behaves somehow like a loop (being called over and over).

1 Like

OK got it, Thank you. I knew that setup wasn’t a loop, I just mis-typed.
j