Powering photon through 3xAAA issues

As @TheHawk1337 said the source is less than 5V already but even with higher supply voltage there is no need, since there is already a 3.3V regulator on the Photon.
So no need to add another one, unless you want to power other 5V devices off the same source.

Unless you meant a 5V+ stepup converter, but then I’d rather suggest to donate an extra battery :wink:

According to the docs, the recommended max input voltage is 5.5V (and the maximum max input is 6.5V). So using 4xAA batteries could damage the device or am I wrong here?

I’d think that 4xAAs are safe to use - the Particle Maker kit even comes with a 4xAA battery pack :wink:

I think TheHawk1337’s assessment is correct in using the 3xAAA and the voltage dropping.

I managed to find and wire up a 4xAA pack, and it was stable and worked well. It only lasted about 20 hours worth of runtime though, so I’ll be looking at the capacitor idea if I can find one somewhere, as well as rechargeable batteries and some kind of solar kit.

You can also win a lot of battery time by turing off the WiFi module when you don’t need it :smile:

4AA batteries will in fact work, but I put a 5v regulator in as a safety net. Doesn’t cost anything, and also allows you to power other 5v devices when running from battery (say some NeoPixels which don’t have a regulator and tend to frown on anything about 5.2v or so).

It was a suggestion for a 4AA battery application.

I’m using this as a Beakn, so I don’t think turning off Wifi fits with the use-case; that’s why I’m looking to solar as a recharge source.

Hmm, interesting. I think it would be possible to make the photon check the beakn status once a minute to save power but this would add a lot of difficulty.

Like the project though! :smile:

I did the same thing, using 3 AA batteries to power the photon. It ran just fine in this configuration. I turned it on and off every 10 minutes, for only a few seconds, and it lasted for well over a week on the same batteries before I turned it off. I did not use a capacitor or voltage regulator. I used new, good quality, regular batteries.

Hope that helps.

Can I use a 9v to power the photon ? Seems to work ok when I do…

Or can I use the PowerShield with a 9v? I don’t need to charge a battery, just power the photon.

Checking the docs hardly ever hurt anyone… :wink:

Taking the above into consideration, I’d go with a no. No, you can’t power your photon with 9V, unless your primary goal is to destroy it in the process.

https://docs.particle.io/datasheets/photon-datasheet/#absolute-maximum-ratings

Thanks, I missed that…

Question on the Power Shield. Can you power it from the 3.7 Lipo? Or just charge a 3.7 Lipo?
Or it this just intended to provide a battery charger circuit to something ?

https://docs.particle.io/datasheets/particle-shields/#power-shield

“You can power a Particle device with either a USB plug or a DC supply of anywhere from 7 to 20VDC and charge a 3.7V LiPo battery all at the same time.”

I want to power the particle with a 3.7v lipo and be able to charge it!

Simply supply power to the Power shield with USB or DC source, plug in the battery and photon :slight_smile:

Yes, giving freedom from the grid to the Photon is the foremost intention of this shield, charging is a side feature :wink:

I seem to have endless battery problems…

2 - 2032 Coin-cells == 6v -> Light just flashes green then D7 turns on DIM
1 - 3.7v lipo - works great
2 - AAA - 3v, not enough power
1 - 9v too much power…

Shouldn’t the Coin-cells work ?
I’d rather not use the Lipos as I then have to provide a charging solution. Plus all the small lipos are really meant for quadcopters so they all have strange connectors on them, nothing that will fit a wire-board solution.

You don’t get enough current to feed Photon from 2032 or similar coin cells.

And why not 3x AAA or 4x AAA NiMH?

2x 2032 is 6.0V, but the Photon only likes up to 5.5V!
And the current might be an issue to, but the mAh definetly.

Trying for a smaller form factor. 3 AAA is too big…

And 3x AAAA?