Photon won't *finish* flash with dfu-util

I would appreciate that! It simplifies things…

yes that would be very helpful @mdma :smiley:

i really should get a jtag programmer, its a bit difficult to know which one to buy, its seems for stm32 you need more than just the basic SWIM 4-pins on st-link2 clones, and sometimes the RTCK capability. i’d like something more generic than the programming shield, maybe a usb blaster, but not sure they work on ARM.

Our programmer shield is a good start. Works well with openocd which is a lot more capable than StLink. (I’ve been using stlink for a year and have now hit walls that openocd let’s me climb.)

can it be used with other devices - i see it has the 20-pin header, so assume its not tied to the photon/core on the left hand side there? there’s some more solder pads on the right there too it seems, got any more info than just the store popup?

and yeah, i’m linux-only so openocd/gdb or nothing for me :grin:

Here’s some more info on the programmer shield: https://docs.particle.io/datasheets/photon-shields/#programmer-shield

2 Likes

i think cpc only have the older jtag adaptor for stlink2:

http://cpc.farnell.com/particle/jshield/spark-core-jtag-shield/dp/SC13388

i’ll have to look into ordering from the store directly or some other stockist.

why not just order a programmer shield - you only need a usb cable.

i’d prefer to get a programmer shield locally than via your store, i’m wary of hidden taxes, customs duty etc. plus that international postage is shocking :wink:

i’m still getting this problem with 0.4.6

The bootloader hasn’t changed for 0.4.6 so there is no automatic update from the pre-release version you had when you built from develop.

You could instead build the bootloader and flash it OTA using particle cli. That will give you the update.

This is why I put a warning about building from develop and that you have to define PARTICLE_DEVELOP - it’s not for the faint hearted and I’m afraid we don’t have time to support people that run into problems using it. It’s not meant for general consumption. Sorry if that sounds a little harsh, but we need to be able to make breaking changes in develop from time to time or our development progress will be hindered. Naturally, building from latest is always fine and doesn’t carry these risks.

ok thats not a problem at all, i just thought the bootloader ID was due to be incremented in 0.4.6 to fix this