Photon Setup Failed at "Verify Product Ownership"

Just to add to this topic, I had the exact same issue as everyone here. iPhone app, CLI serial, and CLI wifi all failed with “invalid claim code.” Finally I tried the “particle serial wifi” method explained here, and my Photon connected, rebooted, flashed, rebooted, and then just connected and apparently claimed itself for me using my CLI credentials.

This is definitely an issue with a number of photons and is creating a lot of headaches for people, especially those who don’t have time to jump through setup hoops.

Just received 10 photons and keen to get the first one connected - now seeing the same problem as others. When I tried the IOS app, it fails at the last step (Verify device ownership) and a retry does not work as the Photon’s network does not appear in the list of networks on my phone. I have to reboot the device, but the same issues appears (fails to verify).

I then tried the CLI and get this message:

Photon team - I know a serious amount of effort has gone into the Photon and I am willing this to work. I can see that by using low level commands, some of these cores do start to connect, but this is far from ideal. Can we have a response as to what is being done to identify how big an issue this is and what we can do collectively to resolve this?

second core has also failed with the same issues. I can provide details if required (ios, network, etc).

Is your machine connected to the internet and you logging in to an account?

1 Like

From the App
The app requires login, so this was the case with the app attempt. My machine is connected to the internet (same machine I am emailing from).

From CLI
When I ran 'particle setup' it confirmed I was already logged in. I have also tried logging into my second account and I get the same response. The photon is flashing blue. I am seeing an error:

Setup is easy! Let's get started...
It appears as though you are already logged in as xxxx@xx.xx
? Would you like to log in with a different account? No

! PROTIP: Hold the MODE/SETUP button on your device until it blinks blue!
! PROTIP: Please make sure you are connected to the internet.

I have detected a Photon connected via USB.
? Would you like to continue with this one? Yes
! The Photon supports secure Wi-Fi setup. We'll try that first.

! PROTIP: Wireless setup of Photons works like a wizard!
! PROTIP: We will automagically change the Wi-Fi network to which your computer is connected.
! PROTIP: You may lose your connection to the internet for a moment.

Potentially unhandled rejection [2] Unable to find mac address in response (WARNING: non-Error used)
? Found "Photon-TQJL". Would you like to perform setup on this one now? Yes

! PROTIP: You will need to know the password for your Wi-Fi network (if any) to proceed.
! PROTIP: You can press ctrl + C to quit setup at any time.

! Woops. Something went wrong connecting to Photon-TQJL. Please manually re-connect to your Wi-Fi network.

Although I know my machine is connected to wifi, I disconnected and reconnected. I get the same result, but I no longer get the error message (unhandled rejection [2])

Alright follow the steps here: [Howto] Setup photon if docs step fail with your Photon blinking blue and connected via USB

The photon rebooted, now flashing…

Response when I try to save the core id (id obfuscated):

Thanks! Wait while I save those credentials…
Done! Your device should now restart.
iMac002:natter kevinhankinson$ particle device add 19002xxxxxxxx343337373xxx
Claiming device 19002xxxxxx343337373xxx
Failed to claim device, server said { ok: false, errors: [ ‘device does not exist’ ] }

is it flashing cyan?

It is flashing the color in the photo - more cyan than blue!, so yes I think so.

Ok if it is flashing means there’s some issue trying to complete a successful connection. A successful one would be breathing cyan.

Does it keep flashing cyan? Any red flashes?

when I reboot, sequence is now…green for 5 seconds, then cyan.

keeps flashing cyan, no red.

try to reflash the Particle cloud keys in DFU mode (blinking yellow) with:

Download the server public key from https://s3.amazonaws.com/spark-website/cloud_public.der

and use the command dfu-util -d 2b04:d006 -a 1 -s 2082 -D cloud_public.der

iMac002:Spark kevinhankinson$ dfu-util -d 2b04:d006 -a 1 -s 2082 -D cloud_public.der
dfu-util 0.8

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2014 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util@lists.gnumonks.org

dfu-util: Invalid DFU suffix signature
dfu-util: A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!
Deducing device DFU version from functional descriptor length
Opening DFU capable USB device...
ID 2b04:d006
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting #1 ...
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 4096
DfuSe interface name: "DCT Flash   "
Downloading to address = 0x00000822, size = 402
Download	[=========================] 100%          402 bytes
Download done.
File downloaded successfully

On reboot - now flashing cyan (no red). I have attempted to run 'particle device add' and it failed.

particle device add will not work until the device is breathing cyan (not flashing/blinking)

Hmm… If there’s no red flashes then that’s super weird. Can you factory reset and re do the steps for sending wifi credentials? Sorry for the trouble :wink:

If I do a factory reset, will the photon still have the new keys I just loaded via DFU, or do I need to redo this step as well?

I need to leave this for now (need to leave for a weekend trip)… but thank you for your input, it is appreciated. I will pick this up on my return.

1 Like

The keys will stay so you can attempt a factory reset. :slight_smile:

This can also happen if your behind a firewall. Can you open up a terminal/command line and issue the following command: telnet device.spark.io 5683 or telnet device.particle.io 5683. If you get lots of gibberish text back then your firewall isn’t the problem

Hi

Thank you for the suggestion. This is a residential broadband connection, no firewall in place. My Core products connect ok.

Ah. Ok. Have you performed the keys doctor command as well?

See this page for information on how to do that.