Device OS 1.3.1-rc.1 Release Candidate is out on the Web IDE for (Core/Photon/P1/Electron/Argon/Boron/Xenon/A SoM/B SoM/X SoM)
released on August 21st, 2019
This 1.3.1-rc.1 Release Candidate will be defaulted to 1.3.1 on September 4th, 2019 unless there are regressions found that require further patches. Testing on your applications is encouraged and appreciated, thank you!
Note: This is a Release Candidate (RC) and is not intended for production yet. We’ve tested this RC to the best of our ability and we want to know what you think now! Please understand that some care and attention is necessary when testing this RC, and be sure to upgrade to the final release when it’s available. This RC will not be available by default. To use you must select the version dropdown from the devices drawer. Downgrading back to the current release info is at the bottom of this post.
Note: OTA or YModem transfer on Electron (sequence required)
- First Update to 0.5.5 (if the current version is less than that)
- Then update to 0.6.4 (if the current version is less than that)
- Then update to 0.7.0 (if the current version is less than that)
- Then update to 1.2.1 (if the current version is less than that)
- Then update to 1.3.1-rc.1
Note: DFU over USB on Electron/Photon/P1 (sequence not required)
- You may update to 1.3.1-rc.1 directly first, flash the system firmware (attached above) in order 1,2(,3) to the device using
particle flash --usb <system-part.bin>. See the next note about the bootloader if you are offline!
Note: P1/Photon Bootloader
The Cloud will automatically update the bootloader on P1/Photon devices if your device is online. If your device does not connect to the cloud and it is offline, you should flash the bootloader to the device using
particle flash --serial <bootloader.bin>. This should be done after upgrading system firmware. The Electron bootloader is applied automatically from it’s own system parts.
Note: Argon/Boron/Xenon/Argon-SoM/Boron-SoM/Xenon-SoM Bootloader
If your device is offline, the bootloader must be manually updated using
particle flash --serial <bootloader.bin>. This can be done before or after upgrading system firmware.
Note: Downgrading [Electron/Photon/P1] OTA or YModem transfer:
If you need to downgrade, you must downgrade to 1.2.1, then 0.7.0, then 0.6.3(Photon/P1), 0.6.4(Electron) to ensure that the bootloader downgrades automatically. When downgrading to older versions, downgrade to 1.2.1, then 0.7.0 first, then 0.6.3(Photon/P1), 0.6.4(Electron), then to an older version such as 0.5.5.
Note: If your Gen 2 device does not have a Cloud connection, it is recommended to update system firmware, and then the bootloader via CLI with
particle flash --serial bootloader.bin (bootloaders found in Github release). Gen 3 devices should not need an updated bootloader this release.
This release contains v400 bootloaders.
Note: The amount of RAM reserved for the system on Gen 2 platforms increased by at least 1K in this release. This is due to the reorganization of the RAM memory map, which was necessary in order to improve compatibility with recent versions of GCC in future Device OS releases. This memory can be partially reclaimed by rebuilding the application.
Customers affected by https://github.com/particle-iot/device-os/issues/1855 may manually update the Nordic SoftDevice S140 to version 7.0.0 using the binaries provided in this release.
Starting with 1.4.0 Device OS update will automatically trigger SoftDevice update.
particle-cli version 1.43.3.
Upgrading OTA or using YModem (
Not supported in this release.
Upgrading using DFU (–usb only works for SoftDevice, not bootloader yet)
- Upgrade Device OS to 1.3.1-rc.1
- (optional, not required) Update the bootloader to 1.3.1-rc.1 with the OTA or YModem process above
- Put the device into DFU mode (blinking yellow)
- Flash the SoftDevice:
particle flash --usb email@example.com
- [gen 3] Nordic SoftDevice update support #1816
- [gen 3] API for selecting BLE antenna for BLE radio #1847
- [gen 3] API for setting/getting BLE device name #1847
- [gen 3] API for setting BLE device address #1847
- [gen 3] API for manually discovering peer device’s BLE services and characteristics #1847
- [gen 3] API for fetching discovered peer’s services and characteristics #1847
- [gen 3] API in BlePeerDevice for establishing BLE connection without scanning required #1847
- [gen 3] API for manually subscribing/unsubscribing peer characteristic’s notification #1847
- [gen 3] API for disconnecting all on-going BLE connections #1847
- [Boron/BSoM] power: Increases charging current to 900mA when powered through VIN (VUSB) pin #1846
- Cancel network connection when processing a USB request that resets the device #1830
- Particle.connected() should return true only after handshake messages are acknowledged #1825
- [gen 3] USB state tracking enhancements #1871
- [gen 3] Adds timeouts to I2C HAL operations #1875
- [gen 3] Refactors BLE event dispatching #1847
- [gen 3] Decreases BLE runtime RAM consumption #1847
- [gen 3] Supports up to 23 local characteristics, 20 of them are available for user application #1847
- [gen 3] Supports up to 3 central links #1847
- [gen 3] More convenient methods provided in BleUuid class #1847
- ensures AT interface is responsive #1886
- fixes RSSI regression on G350 (2G) devices #1841
- [electron, gen3] Temporarily increase IDLE task priority whenever a thread exits (calls vTaskDelete) to resolve a memory leak that resulted in device being stuck “blinking green” until reset in some cases. #1862
- [gen 3] Fixes mesh pub/sub socket consuming all packet buffers #1839
- [Photon/P1] Bootloader correctly re-imports the DCT functions from system firmware after its modification through DFU #1868
- [gen 3]
Mesh.off() disconnects the cloud. Resolves an issue with
loop() not being executed in
SEMI_AUTOMATIC mode after
- [Argon] Fixes the issue being unable to reset the device through RST pin by changing the ESPEN mode to
- [Electron/LTE] devices drop Cloud connection every time user firmware opens and closes a TCP socket ch34976 #1854
- [gen 2] Fixes an issue with clock stretching in I2C slave mode with underrun reads with certain I2C masters (e.g. Gen 3 devices) #1829
- Fix to ensure device resets after bootloader update #1873
- Fixes boot issue for Core introduced in 1.2.1-rc.3 #1873
- [gen 3] Resolved a HardFault after USB cable is unplugged under certain conditions #1871
- [gen 3] BLE advertising parameters didn’t apply, issue #1874 #1847
- [gen 3] BLE scanning parameters didn’t apply, issue #1859 and #1855 #1847
- [gen 3] Local characteristic notification causes SOS: #1847
- [gen 3] BLE address order reversed #1847
- [gcc] fixes virtual platform exception on startup #1878
- Add coverage to CMake unit-tests #1860
- Pull test implementation out of source file #1867
- [gen 3] Changes WKP pin to A7 for SoM platforms to avoid an overlap with Ethernet chip on EVB ESPEN mode to
- [hal] Fixes WIFIEN pin mode for ASoM #1889
- Refactor/move catch test #1869
- fixes to communications public interface #1863
- Refactors platform pinmap to be in platform-specific headers #1838
- Improve compatibility with recent versions of GCC #1806
- Set path to Boost libraries #1872
System Binaries (all devices)
Programming and Debugging
You can view specific programming and debugging notes for this version of firmware here.
QA Report Summary for Particle Device OS
You can view results of tests run this release here.