Particle app cannot setup Photon

So i suggested particle device add 210027000647343232363230. Does it work?

Does that device show up using particle list?

• Place in SAFE mode
  • particle device add 210027000647343232363230

failed though it’s blinking :no_mouth:

C:\Users\Amir>particle serial identify

Your device id is 210027000647343232363230

C:\Users\Amir>particle device add 210027000647343232363230
Claiming device 210027000647343232363230
Failed to claim device, server said  { ok: false, errors: [ 'Device is not conne
cted' ] }

Ok so what’s the status of the RGB led? Let the OTA update finish (blinking magenta) and eventually enter breathing cyan before trying the command.

thanks for your help so far! I don’t understand why there’s any OTA updates. I uploaded the latest FW using CLI. Anyway I have three Photons and 2 of them have connection issues. Is it possible to send them to Particle office for repair/replacement?

You can arrange for replacements with [hello at particle io] though we can probably assist you with fixing it before sending it back.

The OTA update can happen due to the new automatic system firmware update.

Okay, this is getting way too confusing. Let’s get all the fact straight:

• You’ve updated your Photon over DFU mode to the latest firmware using particle update?
  • After doing that, the device enters listening mode (blinking blue)?
  • You then try adding the credentials using particle setup wifi?
  • The CLI reports success but the device enters blinking yellow (possibly orange?)?

• The device has never connected to the cloud (breathing cyan)?
  • The device has (thus) never been claimed?
  • particle device add [deviceID] fails since it isn’t connected to the cloud, nor has is ever been?

So, important things to notice:
Since you mention you’ve got two devices with connection problems, we’re only debugging one of them right now, right?
Furthermore I don’t think sending them to Particle will really help. I suspect it can be fixed with the right tools/methods. I’m sure we’ll be able to help you out.

What is the current state of the device? When you plug it in, what happens?

@kennethlimcp, I don’t think the OTA applies here since the device has never reached the cloud. Safe mode will therefor not really make a difference either. Seeing as blinking yellow (orange?) was mentioned, I’m thinking about corrupted keys, which might be fixed accordingly.

1 Like

I am having basically identical issues Amir is running into, with the exception I don’t have an Android to try.

1 Like

@GregF1 do you have a video of the RGB led status?

No but I certainly can. Basically same symptoms/issues Amir reported right down the line. I’ll try to upload videos, but it’s clear using the IOS app that all goes ok until the end After that a steady flashing cyan. I can get device Id using CLI BTW. This has happened on 2 out of three brand new photons , I have one left unopened and untried.

It seems I cannot upload .mov video’s here, bummer!

Anyways, heres a little more info. I have and do run into the same issues Amir was running into using the app. I can chat with Photon somewhat from Cli and can get it ID’d using “particle identify”.

Getting to listen mode on Photon no problem after failures, matches the videos in documentation. Have tried multiple IOS devices with same end result. Have same problem with claiming device no mater which PC I use CLI on, with Photon and correct usb cable attached. Have same problem using IOS app when trying ac adapter for power only to photon. End result is flashing green(not the fastest nor the slower of listen mode in blue). MY wifi credentials are typed in correctly when prompted and my wifi router has plenty of address/ip’s to hand out plus its on lower channel as advised in docs, the Photon/app does see my router, no issue there.

The procedure for using app is quite easy, all things considered am believing have done everything right or as documented in reguards to providing anything the Photon could need to chat with the cloud/your site utilizing the IOS app.

Just looking to get thru the getting started and connected portions of documentation and have followed docs plus went thru some of the troubleshooting areas and checked so many things its not funny!

Realize your not here looking at things and maybe I’m not getting you info needed, so if I can help you help me , please let me know.

@Moors7 Your summary is exactly correct. and its all related to one Photon. When I plug it in , it blinks blueish as you see in the picture.

@kennethlimcp I left Photon blinking for hours but it just blinks.

My second Photon was working perfectly till I uploaded this program. Now it’s in the same state as the First.

@GregF1 Thanks for the picture. I exactly got to the same point.

That’s blinking blue right? Same as https://docs.particle.io/guide/getting-started/modes/photon/#listening-mode

@kennethlimcp it’s blue. and this a 2 sec video https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AutoDz1xws9kIOshLZjGFTNq83NotSRBuA/view?usp=sharing

@kmmonk can we have a replacement arranged for this one and analyze why USB serial is not working?

Would it help if I send the device identifications of the problem Photons to Particle? Internet connectivity does not seem to be an issue, as claiming the device fails from app(which by all signs, did get Photon on internet) and also when trying to add device from CLI which did have internet connectivity(was logged into acct and did get messages from Particle back).

Thanks for the support!

1 Like

hey @GregF1,

Just responded to you ticket in zendesk. In the response, please send me your deviceID
this can be obtained by:

1. holding SETUP for 3-5 seconds and putting device into SETUP/listening mode
  2. using Particle-cli issue particle identify
  3. it should return the device id

-Corey

@GregF1 never publicly share you device ID’s. what i meant to say is to send them in the ticket that I responded to you in via zendesk.

@Amir what’s the final state of your devices currently?
-I may be able to help you get it out of this state. Been troubleshooting and fixing broken devices all day.

@kennethlimcp thanks for the callout to @kmmonk, but I do RMAs for technical failures.

1 Like

Ill remember that Corey! I’m a newb with Photons/Particle.

Thank you

Gregg