New Spark Core - No Cores Found

There’s nothing like a poor user experience to spoil the excitement of a new purchase :frowning:

The short of it:

• Plugged Core in -> followed Android app instructions -> No Cores
    Found (light never does anything but blink blue)
  • Logged out of 5GHz AP -> Logged into 2.4GHz AP -> No Cores Found (light never does
    anything but blink blue)
  • I did a factory reset and tried it again, but nothing changed.

Using: OS X 10.10.1 and Note 3. Router is an ASUS RT-N66U.

Ideas?

I was able to connect to it using CoolTerm, followed the instructions, and it is pulsing cyan.

I logged in and claimed the core manually, however I get an ‘Error: No Cores associated with your account.’ notification in the IDE window, even though the core shows associated in that same view.

Force refreshing the page seemed to allow me to work with it, but now it just freaks out flashing magenta for 30 seconds, then green, then cyan or blue, then finally it will pulse cyan and run the blink sketch.

The amount of time it takes to upload a sketch is no bueno. Maybe Spark Dev will be quicker…

Paste the sketch into Spark Dev, compile: App code was invalid.

Huh.

Click the ‘App code was invalid’ error for more info: There were no compile errors.

Although, it would seem that Spark Dev uses the same method of ‘compiling in the cloud’, so I suppose it’s no faster.

I was so excited when it came in the mail today, and now I’m just disappointed. I bet it’s great when it works, but this is just not a usable part. Whether it is my particular setup or not, my experience has been phenomenally poor and I can’t imagine feeling compelled to give a future Spark product a second look.

Bummer.

Hey @GregJ, sorry for the experience but the reason why its awesome cos we are here to help you! :smile:

There was a brief outage earlier and might explain the flashing cyan status. Can you power cycle the core and let us know hwhpw it goes?

1.) Spark dev requires the sketch to be in a folder like a normal arduino environment with no other unaccepted files in it.

2.) The online build farm is meant to make it easy for beginners to compile code without setting up a local toolchain manually

3.) Maybe OTA is considered slow during development with a core beside you but you will appreciate it when its deployed remotely.

I haven’t seen many solutions that offer ota at a faster speed but I might be wrong :wink:

4.) The CC3000 itself is not perfect but works for general wifi networks. I will admit there’s some rough edges during the initial setup but we can help nail the issue and get it connected!

Hi Ken,

I truly appreciate the response and I think your company/community is great, but the product (hardware and infrastructure combined) just isn’t doing it for me. While I do consider myself a ‘maker’, I’m not generally an early-adopter. I have little patience for things that don’t work as advertised or require me to find work-arounds, and I was expecting something a bit more mature and streamlined.

So while I do appreciate the relatively prompt response, I just don’t think Spark is my cup of tea.

I bumped into this too, and then realized that Spark Dev didn't by default add the .ino extension on the program file, and that I must save the file too... not the same as my arduino paradigm.

Again, that is coming from my paradigm, and just by habit, ran into those errors.

Once you get past this hiccup to the awesome, I feel you will be pleased!