New Particle SIM Cards - Beta Testing Needed!

The updated carrier list will include Rogers as well as several other carriers in Canada.

2 Likes

Alright. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Hi,

I'm in Spain working with 10 Electron units and increasing

Best

Most definitely interested …I’m am in Canada but we are going to deploy about 1000 electrons …within the next year …Might need a few of these

I am interested, if the pricing of the new SIMs will be more competitive.
Currently I am using a European VMNO, the SIMs have global roaming and the pricing in Europe is $0.15 per MB. Prepaid, no monthly fee.
Compared to this, the Particle SIM with $0.99 per MB and $3.00 monthly fee is way to expensive…

I am based in USA, Michigan. I do have 3 electron development boards. I am working on asset tracker - iOS app development.

@kmmonk I received a SIM in the mail yesterday. Do I need to activate it via the Setup.Particle.io or is it already activated? No Instructions were included.

I was working on sending that email out right now! Stay tuned.

4 Likes

Quick update from a day of using the new SIM card to send GPS Position updates while driving across town.

It’s hard to quantify without doing a side by side test but to me, it feels like the connection times to go from blinking green to breathing cyan “Particle Cloud Connected” happens quicker than with the older card.

hello, if you are still looking for a tester i submitted an application today. i have a 2G & a 3G electron. in Tucson,AZ area. i have been having difficulties with the 2G staying connected for a day. I figured the 2G was phased out of access here. the 3G as well has problems staying connected but works better than the 2G. i had turned them both off a while back since it’s been impossible to have anything near a reliable performance from them. i’d be interested if a new card would change things although t-mobile does not have a good network performance here. i used them on a few phones for a year about 2 years ago and did not have much luck. my phones are now on at&t but the signals strength is not what i had hoped for. i’m located 600 ft with line of sight from tower and signal strength is usually 100-110dBm/31ASU. but, the signal is continuously present. while t-mobile signal would completely drop/return even while stationary. anyway, willing to try if still accepting testers.

Are testers still needed …I sent in an application a while ago but received no answer

@jade7272, if you are an international (non USA) tester there is no point. The international activations are not working. I believe Particle is working on other solutions.

1 Like

I’m in the US and haven’t received any response yet.

I think we’re set on testers at the moment but thanks for inquiring though!

1 Like

We had a high number of US inquiries and we only had a small number of spots open for US testers. Thanks for inquiring and I hope you’re willing to do some beta testing next time we need it!

1 Like

@kmmonk What specifically are you wanting from us that received the cards to test? You just want us to notify you of any problems?

What exactly are the differences between the current SIM service vs these Beta SIM card service?

I’ve tested mine in a GPS / Electron Tracking application.

Getting Started:

To get started with the new Particle SIM, simply follow these instructions:

• Update your Electron to firmware version v062 or higher by putting your device into DFU mode and running particle update using the Particle CLI
  • Completely power off your Electron 2G or 3G (remove USB and battery power)
  • Remove the Nano (4FF) SIM from the plastic punchout
  • Insert the new Particle SIM into your Electron
  • Complete the configuration instructions for “Activate a SIM Card Only” at http://setup.particle.io
  • Power on the Electron. It should connect as usual.

We’d love to hear about the performance of the SIM card. To submit feedback, please fill out the following form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdpLYcWUNIY4Vig7IE5g-WCy9LyWHoJ8l1ad-o36uIAjIMlkQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Things we’d love to hear about:

• Coverage. Does the updated SIM still have coverage in your area? Better? Worse?
  • Connection speed. How long does it take for your Electron to connect to the Particle Cloud? Faster? Slower?
  • Connect reliability. Does your Electron stay connected to the network? Does it periodically lose it’s connection?
  • Anything else. Is there anything else we should know?
1 Like

I live in Colombia and ill like to test it … is it possible yet?