New Particle hardware?

Shout out to @jimini for guessing right!

5 Likes

Thx @zach... I did have some premonition based on dialog with your sales team :smirk:
Can't wait to spin these up and see how they run.

@Will @Zach Do you guys have any maps showing LTE cellular coverage through your provider as of now?

Also, does the Boron LTE fall back to 3G cellular if no LTE service is available?

No, the Boron LTE is LTE-M1 only for now through AT&T, even though the hardware supports LTE M1/NB1 (edit). That being said, general LTE coverage should already cover more of the country than 2G/3G coverage in the US, which means that you should have LTE-M1 nearly everywhere you have 2G/3G coverage.

As of today, the official quote from our LTE-M1 provider about coverage in the US is the following:

"98% of LTE populations are LTE-M1 capable and within a few months it will be at 100%."

1 Like

Thanks for the info, that sounds good.

Do you have an official coverage map you could share?

Oops! Yes, here is LTE coverage as of December 2017 via AT&T:

4 Likes

Nordic’s website has a design for a solar powered sensor beacon using the nRF52840. Hopefully Particle’s Xenon design won’t shoot us in the foot by including some power hungry supporting circuitry.

1 Like

Why did you all abandon elementary particle names for element names? Will Particle have to change its name to Element now :wink:. There are plenty of other particle names to choose from; maybe you should have gone with Positron for the new cellular device (though you’d have to make sure you never get your Electron and Positron too close to each other). Anyway, why Boron? You have two noble gas names, why not Neon or Krypton, or even Organesson for the third device (maybe not that last one – kinda ugly name, and maybe not the best marketing to name your product after an element that has a 0.89 ms half life).

I’m sticking with those noble gasses. I’ve ordered my Argons and Xenons (despite AT&T’s coverage map, I have very spotty cellular coverage here 60 miles north of Particle headquarters).

3 Likes

Thanks! And agreed, it can't ship fast enough :slight_smile:

1 Like

trademarks… :sigh:

5 Likes

A decent quick inverview with a Nordic engineer about the nRF52840 chipset we will be adopting in the near future. Figured it was appropriate to share here considering.

I like seeing the Ultra Low Power Sharp Memory LCD’s and Ultra Low Power BLE working together.

1 Like

It also also worth noting that the Boron LTE supports NB-IoT, aka Cat M2 aka NB1. As carriers rollout support (which will take time,) we hope to support NB-IoT service as well!

1 Like

Who do I need to talk to about billing for these pre orders?

Contact support at https://support.particle.io/

1 Like

BLE 5, oh yeah, FPU, oh yeah! But … only 12bits ADC? And what about a P1/P0 like module that the pick and place machines can handle? Will we see schematics? And FCC certification comes with it?

Nice link to the solar-powered nRF52840 sensor beacon!

I don’t see anything on the Xenon that should prevent us from creating the same low power solar based sensor. I see the nRF52840 accepts up to 5v input which eliminates the regulator on the input to drive it which takes the inefficiency of the buck converter out of the loop which is a nice touch.

We may be able to just run the chip directly off a solar cell depending on how you code your transmission burst for efficiency. It’s only consuming 19uA which is crazy low.

Still, have to wait and see what the schematic looks like though.

Will Particle Mesh hardware be available in mass production form factors like the E-Series?

Yes! More details to come – Particle will release our plans for mass production form factors for Particle Mesh hardware before preorder delivery in July 2018.

From Enterprise FAQ at IoT Network Solutions — Products & Services | Particle

1 Like

ATT only for M1 … hmmm, ATT has so far not been positive for NB-IoT … unlike all the other US MNOs

Too few particles to accomodate the whole dynasty to come :wink:

3 Likes

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet...

3 Likes