Multiple devices

With a single particle, can I see ten different devices that do not use a password & login, and can I see anything on these devices without password/login

I’m sorry but your question is quite vague and hard to follow. What type of device are you using: Photon, or Electron? What do you mean by “see anything on these devices”? Do you mean cloud functions and variables? Or are you referring to viewing the firmware source? What do you mean by “devices that do not use a password & login”? Are you talking about an unclaimed device or a device that is part of a product?

3 Likes

My question was vague since I will use whichever is useful. cloud is not relevant. I guess I am talking about unclaimed devices

The vagueness of your question is prohibitive in answering it, since I, and probably others, haven’t got a single clue what you’re talking about. Without clarifying, there’s little meaningful we can add.

What are you trying to achieve, for which you need these answers? The more information we have, the more meaningful answers we can give. Deliberate vagueness isn’t helping the cause.

3 Likes

Suppose I am using an electron. Can I see 10 devices that are unclaimed. If so, what can I read from each of them?

No you can’t see unclaimed devices unless they make themselves known to the public (e.g. via Particle.publish() to the public eventstream) - unless of course you mean visually seeing them, then yes you could :wink:

But you still haven’t disclosed anything about your intent.
If you don’t, we’d have to consider the posibility of probing for potential attack vectors which we - by no means - would support any further.

2 Likes

Electrons have almost no attack surface area. They ship with no open ports, however the cloud connection does open a UDP listening port. However, this port uses DTLS which is designed to minimize the possibility of attacks by this channel. Furthermore, it’s quite difficult to use this as an attack vector because the mobile carrier network prevents almost all traffic to this port. Other Electrons can’t send to it, and from the Internet, packets are only allowed from the IP address and port of the cloud server that was connected to outbound.

6 Likes

And Photons?

Photons and P1s don’t open any listening ports at all by default.

The cloud connection is TCP outbound to the cloud, port 5683 (CoAP). Both sides are authenticated using RSA public-private key pairs and the data is encrypted using an AES session key.

So there’s little to attack there, either.

4 Likes

Hi rickkas7, being attacked is not an issue for me.
Capturing device’s details is my goal.

You need to explain exactly what information you are looking for. I’m not going to continue to guess.

5 Likes

I’m looking to identify each imei number

You can get the IMEI:

• By connecting to the USB serial port
  • From reading the number off the label on the u-blox module
  • From reading the QR code on the u-blox module, which contains the IMEI

I’m talking about the imei of a foreign device which I cannot physically see

Since the list given by @rickkas7 is complete, I’d say you are out of luck.
If the devices are not made - via custom application firmware - to publish the IMEI they won’t tell you OTA.

1 Like