Motorbike battery as a power source for particle electron

With cars and trucks, typically the kill relay is inserted inline with the starter circuit, not the ignition circuit. This is handy because the current between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid is low and unexpected failure merely means the vehicle can’t be started, not that it stops running. I’m not sure if this is applicable to a motorbike, but it’s worth investigating.

6 Likes

Here's my fork, compatible with Particle.io and implemented EPO data uploading.

I submitted a pull request to the Adafruit master branch, but it didn't get accepted. You can look for the sample code in the "epo_uploading" sample code. I haven't tested in on the Electron (only the Photon), and it will consume at least 56 kilobytes of data if you run it.

1 Like

Can someone explain how the PMIC(BQ24195) is able to handle 3.9-V to 17-V Input Operating Voltage Range(from datasheet), yet the particle electron have max voltage of 12V?

Martin

The absolute max ratings (in this case 17V - even very short spikes) and the recommended range (in this case 3.9V to 12V continous) are typically not falling together.

And there have been others asking in a similar direction
https://community.particle.io/search?q=17v

With a quick search for above term 17v and a brief browse over the results you might have stumbled over this very post