Mesh device setup without QR code / data matrix / datamatrix / sticker?

Hey there!

So actually, it is entirely possible to recreate the barcode for any device you have USB access to!

The first thing you’ll want to do is update to the latest available release (at the time of this writing, is 0.8.0-rc.27. You can flash this over USB while your device is in DFU Mode by using particle flash --usb FILENAME.bin

Afterward, be sure to put the device into listening mode.

Once in listening mode, you will want to go ahead and open a serial connection on your device. (In Windows, you will want to use PuTty). In OS X, you should be able to do this on the CLI using something like screen.

So for instance, to find my device’s information on a Mac, I would:

• Open up a new terminal
  • Type screen /dev/tty.
  • Press tab to try and autocomplete and find my device’s name (should look something like (tty.usbmodem14201)
  • Once autocompleted, follow it up with the baud rate, which is 9600–so the final command you’ll be typing and hitting return on is something like screen /dev/tty.usbmodem14201 9600
  • Once in this window, press i on your keyboard and your device should return its device ID, device secret, and serial number.

Copy and paste your serial number and device secret in the following format and order SERIAL_NUMBER DEVICE_SECRET (make sure there is a single space between your serial number and secret!). You then must click “refresh” to generate the data matrix.

You can take the above string and paste it into any data matrix generator like this one. The data matrix generated here can be scanned during your setup process for your device!

If you are having troubles with this process, you can also feel free to reach out to support and we can generate you a barcode with just the device ID or serial number. In addition to the above method, you can also get the device ID and serial number by running the command particle serial identify while in listening mode. If your sticker is still intact on the front, you can also provide us the serial number on the sticker.

8 Likes