Maximal ubidots.add

Hey,
I have a E-series Dev board and i am sending data to ubidots.
I add all my data with ubidots.add(“name”, value).

How many variable can I add before using ubidots.send() ?
I am currently having 12. But it only transmitts 10 of them.

Is there a limit?

Thanks

hi, there seems to be a limit.
I checked the Ubidots lib and they say this:

Important: The max payload lenght is 700 bytes, if your payload is greater it won’t be properly sent.
You can see on your serial console the payload to send if you call the setDebug(bool debug) method and pass a true value to it.

source is here.
Best,
Gustavo.
EDIT: so it is not only a matter of number of variables (in your case 10) but the size/content of them. Meaning in some cases you would be able to successfuly send 10 variables, but under some conditions you would be able to send LESS (or even more!). That’ll be hell to troubleshoot. BEware.

1 Like

Just finished a support chat with Ubidots due to my need to reduce the number of “Operations” associated with the new Particle financial model. Ubidots will consider modifying their library to allow users to modify the max number of variables that can be sent at one time (currently 10) and the buffer size (currently 700 bytes). “These hard limits were put in place to prevent memory leaks coming from our platform.”

In my case, I need to push 24 variables and for convenience, I had broken this up into 4 sets of 6 variables, since there was no consequence in multiple pushes. Note–I have implemented dead banding to significantly reduce data pushes on my minute-by-minutes pushes, but still do send all variables every 15 minutes on the quarter hour.

Until Ubidots provides feedback, I’m going to (responsibly) increase these parameters in UbiConstants.h according to my needs: const uint8_t MAX_VALUES and const int MAX_BUFFER_SIZE. This should also reduce the gross data (including overhead) used, since I’ll be reducing the number of pushes to Ubidots.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.