[issue] Local compile fails libcrypto.a is not an archive

Local combile will not work with output on mac OS 10.15.1 for Argon firmware 1.4.3

:::: COMPILING APPLICATION & DEVICE OS

/Users/stijnwillems/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/1.4.3/firmware-1.4.3/modules/argon/system-part1/makefile /Users/stijnwillems/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/1.4.3/firmware-1.4.3/modules/argon/user-part/makefile
/usr/local/opt/openssl@1.1/lib/libcrypto.a: member /usr/local/opt/openssl@1.1/lib/libcrypto.a(aes_cbc.o) in archive is not an object
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [../../../build/target/system-part1/platform-12-m/system-part1.elf] Error 1
make[1]: *** [/Users/stijnwillems/.particle/toolchains/deviceOS/1.4.3/firmware-1.4.3/modules/argon/system-part1/makefile] Error 2
make: *** [compile-all] Error 2
The terminal process terminated with exit code: 2

My workaround for now is cloud compile and then flash firmware with usb in dfu. But as I will need to flash more devices faster in the future I would like my local system to be able to build the project. Thanks for any help!

It looks like your local compiler (homebrew) toolchain libraries directory is getting picked up by the gcc-arm cross-compiler used for Particle local builds. My guess is that you have the LIBRARY_PATH environment variable set (in .profile, .bashrc, .zshrc, etc.) to contain /usr/local/opt and it’s overriding the cross-compiled libcrypto.a.

1 Like

@doozMen we'll be better able to help troubleshoot if you provide the info we ask for here:

in particular, running Particle: Audit Environment will quickly confirm whether or not the LIBRARY_PATH environment variable is set.

ok will do this today

I ran audit environment and it spit out. Difficult to figure out where PATH was set because I use zsh. Anyway after altering and removing /opt things it started working. But still fails on another error, only locally. But I think I can fix this by reinstalling the toolchain.

Just in case to completely remove the old toolchain and start over I have to delete what? Thanks!

Very helpfull thanks. It worked and resulted in another error. Progress! :slight_smile:

Just in case to completely remove the old toolchain and start over

you have a couple of options:

1. run the Particle: Install Local Compiler Toolchain command and select the toolchain you want to reinstall

or

1. run the Particle: Reset Environment command

option 2 is handy if you have multiple toolchains installed. you can also run the Particle: Uninstall Local Compiler Toolchain if you just want to remove a toolchain (docs)

another option for troubleshooting the local compiler is to run Particle: Launch Compiler Shell and interact with it via the terminal instance that launches. specifically, try running:

echo $PATH # toolchain paths should be listed first
echo $LIBRARY_PATH # should be empty
which dfu-util
which openocd
which arm-none-eabi-gcc # all of these should report a toolchain path
make -f $PARTICLE_MAKEFILE compile-user # should start a build and report errors
1 Like

super helpfull this!