IDE for Particle

Hello All ,
I am new to Particle family. Last week only I purchased the Boron LTE kit (Cellular+Mesh+Bluetooth).I followed the steps mentioned ion the manual for starting and programming after add devices in the mobile phone app its asking for credit card details.

1. Can I work with BORON board with out any credit card details ?
  2. why particle requires credit card details ?
  3. Is particle provides off line IDE to develop or write programs .

Nope, you can't since you may be using cellular data beyond the free allowance and for that Particle needs to have a way to secure their claims.

Yes, that's called Particle Workbench and is based on VS Code.

1 Like

Hi Thank you for your quick reply.

1. I am not using Particle cellular data I am using 3rd party cellular data ( Airtel-INdia network) in this situation why I have to provide the credit card details .

2. If I use a Workbench for my programming .
    a) Is there any hardware/software to do debugging .
    pls share the tutorial or any use full links .

This is what you say now, but at any instance you could change your mind and for that case the credit card details are an insurance for Particle.
It could also happen that you create a mesh network that enteres into one of the payed tiers even when your cellular date is going via a 3rd party service, the cloud and mesh features would need a way to get charged.
Even if you never even activate the SIM card the default setup flow does (currently) not cater for this case.

However, you can try manual onboarding by flashing the code shown here via USB and then manually claim the device via CLI or Web IDE.

That would be a question a simple search in the docs could have answered
https://docs.particle.io/datasheets/accessories/mesh-accessories/#debugger
https://docs.particle.io/tutorials/developer-tools/workbench/#debugging-3rd-generation-

Hi ,

1. Can I use a Bluetooth network to create a mesh topology with out going cloud?
  2. Thank you for your suggestion now Iam working with workbench.

OpenThread Mesh is not a Bluetooth mesh and yes you can run a non-cloud connected mesh network.

non-cloud connected mesh network using Bluetooth ?

Currently not at all, since BT APIs are not yet exposed and after that you’d be on your own with BT mesh as Particle will for the foreseeable future not invest any effort in a secondary mesh network when there already is a “superior” solution available.

1 Like

Thank You for your reply,

Then How the devices will form a mesh network with using Bluetooth and you also saying that it can a form a non-cloud base mesh network also .

@Nnady, the Particle Mesh devices use OpenThread on 6LoPAN using the 802.5.14 protocol. This protocol is provided by the Nordic nRF52840 along with their SoftDevice stack which is embedded in the Particle DeviceOS and on which they build their Particle Mesh (using UDP). Even though the Nordic SoftDevice stack supports BLE5 meshing, it is NOT supported by Particle and will not be made available.

If you want to form a BLE5 mesh, you may want to consider a non-Particle “pure” nRF52840 solution. I believe another member replaced the DeviceOS on a Xenon with Nordic software to play around but eventually came back to the Particle DeviceOS due to its ease of use.

2 Likes

@peekay123 Now in this device (Boron LTE ) how mesh network is forming ?

1. Is it using cloud and cellular to form a mesh ?
  2. Or using BLE to form a Mesh .

I am new to particle family .I am getting confused with all loaded stuff .

The info is all in that sentence.
not BT nor BLE
not cellular
not cloud
but explaining the above technical terms would lead too far to discuss here but can be googled.

@Nnady, the whole point of the Boron is to act as a Mesh gateway, giving mesh nodes access to the cloud/internet. The Boron has an Nordic nRF52840 MCU which provides the Mesh connectivity via OpenThread and a Ublox LTE CAT-M1 modem for providing cellular connectivity. You seem to be stuck on the BLE Mesh which IS NOT USED in Particle Mesh devices. Think Zigbee protocol “like” instead!

The Mesh is formed between the Boron and other Mesh nodes, typically Xenons. These are registered on the Particle Cloud for billing purposes but the Cloud is not part of the Mesh itself. With a Boron (or Argon) gateway, Mesh connected devices can access Cloud functions and be accessible via the Cloud. A gateway also allows Mesh nodes to perform direct UDP communications to the internet (but not TCP).

Without a gateway, Mesh communications still function with Mesh nodes able to use Mesh-only publish/subscribe communications (over UDP) making node-to-node connectivity very simple.

Perhaps explaining what you are trying to achieve would allow us to better steer you in the Particle world.

1 Like

@peekay123 Thank you for your comments. I will go through deeply regarding particle then I will get back with other issues .

@peekay123 @ScruffR
Hi, I tried to connect My boron lte to my pc using USB but in device manger ports its showing a warning its not detecting .
Is there any driver i have to install.

For DFU Mode you’ll need libusbK drivers for Windows.
Although they should be installed via the Windows CLI Installer it sometimes happens that they are not, then you need to install them via zadig.
When you install the drivers your device needs to be in DFU Mode (blinking yellow).

For USB Serial you won’t need extra drivers on Win10.

@scruffr tnq now able to detect my boron board on my pc .
I have one more doubt when i am using arduino ide it will ask which board and which port devbice is connected . While coming to workbench ide just i selected the boron but in workbench is there any option to select the port ?

What do you need to select the port for?
Will you have multiple Particle devices connected to your PC at the same time?

For flashing the code .And When I want to flash the code , Whetghere I want to Keep DFU mode or listening mode ?

Flashing code works via DFU Mode and there is no port number for DFU.
If you want to flash via Listening Mode you’d have to use the command line
particle flash --serial <yourFirmware.bin>
and for that command there is a --port COMx switch you can use, but if the device is the only one you won’t need to select the port as CLI can usually detect the correct one automatically.