How long does the Photon last?

I flash my Photon with new code or update the code about 20 time or more a day. At this rate how long should the Photon last? How long does it take the storage on the Photon to become unusable?

@rpiswag, after 100,000 flash cycles, you can ask that question again (and I’ll ask the same question again!) :stuck_out_tongue:

So about 100,000 flash cycles?

No, I think @peekay123 is saying, after you’ve flashed it 100,000 times, and its still flashing OK, then ask him again, and he’ll say another 100,000.

So… I think @peekay123 is saying there is no practical limit.

Flash memory is rated for 10,000 (minimum) to 100,000 (typical) cycles - flash endurance is temperature-sensitive, with lower temperature (e.g. room temp) being better.

If you were updating a photon 20 times each day, 5 days a week, then it would last up to 100-1000 weeks, or ca. 2-20 years.

3 Likes

What I was trying to say is that I have not heard of anyone hitting the flash wall on any Arduino or Particle before. So for all intents and purposes, it is not an issue.

3 Likes

Admittedly, I wore out slot #0 on a BASIC Stamp 2P40 a few years back. 'Twas my first microcontroller, and I had a lot of fun with it (before coming to grips with the fact that it was just plain too slow!) A couple years later, I began to encounter verify fails on slot #0 (but none of the other slots, for obvious reasons). That simply meant that I'd have to reprogram it a couple of times before getting a good verify. (Obviously, that only exacerbated the wear!)
The Stamp's program memory is EEPROM-based, so should have been 100K to 1M writes before wearout--I was surprised when it started having verify fails.