GUI for device setup without cloud connection

Seeing as it's open source, it shouldn't be too hard for you to write one and share with the rest of the community. Pull requests on GitHub are also appreciated, especially if you want it to be pulled in as an official tool.

What do you need? I can probably build something for you based on the access provided through the listening mode system.

I would certainly be willing to do that, but I dont write apps for the PC.

Thanks for the offer. I am making great strides into the ESP32 platform, and once I get 2 more key pieces in place I will be moving to that platform. So as of right now its no longer an issue for me.

Your username makes so much more sense now!

LOL! Im sure I'll be right back as soon as Particle releases a ESP32 module.

1 Like

Hmm, I seem to hit some obstacles too - maybe things have changed since the Core times where I last used it.
Let me investigate.

Update:
I've managed to flash a binary on Windows via TeraTerm and ExtraPuTTY which both feature YModem-file transfer. Up to Windows XP the stock HyperTerminal was able to do that too, but with Win7 following, that handy tool has gone :pensive:
But I'm pretty sure there are more light weight, non-install tools that feature the YModem protocoll too.

Not quite sub 50 lines of C# code (possible to streamline tho'), but here is one implementation

I canā€™t think of a reason to use Particle without a cloud connection. I would use something else, half the cost, and half the size.

There are several reasons why. Iā€™ll just name a few.
#1) Having the AP ability is one. If you made a device and it requires custom options how are you going to allow the customer to set those features? The old school way via USB connection, and have to then create a program to deal with all those OSā€™s and driver issues and what not? Or are you going to put an LCD and buttons on your device to do it, adding more cost for something that only gets once in a while, and have the goofy Press this button twice while holding your left toe to get through the menus because you could only fit 2 button in your enclosure. .

The clearest and most flexible way it to have a web page interface for your device. With having that you can not only get real up to date information, but also configure any setting your heart desires, all while making things intuitive and look great.

Particle allows you do do this very easy. Which is a MAJOR bonus in my book.

#2) Particle products lets you go from out of the box to running apps in no time. No special programmer, no debugger, no tools. Just a simple power connection and your ready to go.

#3) During development, having the could connection for OTA updates is a great thing because I can put the device across the room connected to all its sensors and keep updating it as i develop it without having all the clutter from all that stuff on my desk. Then for the final release just disable WiFI and your good to go having a secure device. You just cant beat that!

#4) Particle support. Particle has one of the most active and helpful forums out there. Iā€™d rather pay a little more for something knowing that if i run into a issue I have somewhere to go and get a timely answer, than pay next to nothing and be screwed when it comes to getting a reply for help.

#5) Particle makes a very simple to use Desktop IDE. Its intuitive and simply just works!

#6) Product reuse ability control. If you have made say 10 products all using Particle, and have all kinds of code for doing all kinds of things, and then you get a new project that needs to talk to a simple sensor via SPI and thatā€™s it. its a faster approach to market to reuse what you already have. Sure, I can go grab a Atmega88 of something like this to do it. But its just not worth the hassle to ensure the programmer is up to date, compiler is up to date, and the list goes on. When I can just slap the P1 in there, copy and paste some old code I used before and be done with it and ship it out the door. Sure, if your going to make +10k of something then it would make sense to look for something low cost

#7) As for the P1, your not going to get much smaller than this, with all it has. With the exception of the ESP32 which will dominate the market. The ESP32 will be IMHO the goto device for all developers.

As you can see there are many reasons why not to use a WiFi product without a cloud connection.

1 Like