Fritzing design error

I made my first PCB file for particle core. I am starting to get following errors:

My frizting file has been is located

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B08jIt6qOcQhfnVYMklpY0Zodkl2M3ctVDlJMVR2WVZWV3NrRFVDSk12U2l5WEFVNmtNSms&usp=sharing

I would really appreciate if someone could give me guidance.

Here are my steps:
Here is what I did:

1. I connected all the wires
  2. Ground fill bottom
  3. Conducted Design Rule Check

I did the fill bottom ground. Is there is something I am missing?

1 Like

Ping @Bdub

@boniface316 sorry your having trouble with this… to be honest I’m not really sure what the problem is as I would not typically first use Fritzing to make a PCB (I would gravitate more towards Cadsoft Eagle). That said I did initially create a simple one for a temperature sensor with the Spark Core as a proof of concept in Fritzing. I didn’t output the gerber data or order the PCB though so there may have been issues all along. Would you please link me to your Fritzing file (the one above is the error output) and give me a list of steps that you perform that is giving you this error output? I’ll put this on my list of things to get to… but at this point I’m a few promises deep on extra activities. Someone in the community with more Fritzing experience than me would be in my debt if they helped you out first :smile:

@BDub,

Thanks for your reply.

The files are located here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B08jIt6qOcQhfnVYMklpY0Zodkl2M3ctVDlJMVR2WVZWV3NrRFVDSk12U2l5WEFVNmtNSms&usp=sharing

I am a newbie so I was using Fritzing :frowning:

Here is what I did:

1. I connected all the wires
  2. Ground fill bottom
  3. Conducted Design Rule Check

Then I got the error. I would appreciate any help or feedback!

Ok, I took 10 minutes to look at this… seems like the Core Fritzing file only has copper defined for the bottom layer, and needs it on the top as well. Sigh, editing this is a real pain and will take some time to make sure it’s all correct. If you’d like to give it a go, you will learn the joys of the footnote on my repo that says: “About 40 hours of work.” I really do have to put this on the backlog (will do so right now)… but this is going to be the same problem for the Photon as well… so I really appreciate you bringing this up!

@BDub, I didnt realize that you are one of the main guy for Particle! Glad I was able to bring this up. I am going to assume that there is a fault in the file not in the design, correct? If thats so, then simple note on the github file would be enough, I guess.

I first encountered this with photon and then changed to core. Should I go ahead and print the PCB or would there be some error if I try to print it?

I have this issue on our internal backlog, so no need to do anything further. It’s going to involve generating some more vector artwork file layers I think, and then reimporting into to Fritzing, and connecting up all of the pads. It’s very tricky also because of how Fritzing versions the files. One of the best ways I’ve found to take control of things is to unzip the files it creates, edit them in a text editor, and then re-zip them and replace in the Fritzing file structure.

I would strongly suggest giving Eagle a try. It won’t be a cakewalk, but you will follow in the footsteps of many… which means there’s lots of help available out on google.

i added a copy of copper0 with id copper1 and different gorn (0.1.3.x instead of 0.1.2.x ) in de file .config/Fritzinger/parts/svg/user/pcb/Photon_xxxx_pcb.svg and that seem to work