Electron gets hot to touch

This just started, but when I plug in to USB, all I get is the tiny red SMD led lighting up, and nothing else.

If I use just the battery, I get to blinking cyan. If I put in to DFU mode, it’ll stay in DFU for about… 3 seconds, and then do a full reboot.

And about that time, the electron starts getting warm to the touch, and growing hotter.

The battery is the stock 2000 mAh 3.7V battery. And there is nothing attached to the electron except the antennae.

Any idea what is going on?

I have put in a support ticket, but I have some updates.

I used a @rickkas7 serial only USB connection (https://github.com/rickkas7/usb-power-switch), plus the battery, and in order to feel better and light the way, I put an LED across 3v3 and ground.

This spell allowed me to stay in DFU long enough to flash 1.5.0, firmware that does nothing except serial out a counter. I reactivated my SIM, and I’ll remove manual connection as soon as I think the SIM has been activated so I can see if it’ll connect to the cloud.

I’m reading about 85-140 F across the device, 120F on the QR code, 140F down around C1.

I burnt my fingers putting into DFU mode and learned to use tweezers, but trying to do device doctor I get this:

> particle device doctor
The Device Doctor will put your device back into a healthy state
It will:
  - Upgrade system firmware
  - Flash the default Tinker app
  - Reset the device and server keys
  - Clear the Wi-Fi settings

The Doctor will operate on your Electron connected over USB

PLEASE DISCONNECT ALL OTHER DEVICES BEFORE PROCEEDING

You'll be asked to put your device in DFU mode several times to reset different settings.

Updating system firmware

Put the device in DFU mode
Tap RESET/RST while holding MODE/SETUP until the device blinks yellow.
? Select Continue when ready Continue

> Your device is ready for a system update.
> This process should take about 30 seconds. Here it goes!

! System firmware update successfully completed!

> Your device should now restart automatically.

Flashing the Device Doctor app

This app allows changing more settings on your device

Put the device in DFU mode
Tap RESET/RST while holding MODE/SETUP until the device blinks yellow.
? Select Continue when ready Continue
The Doctor didn't complete successfully. Could not find serial device. Ensure the Device Doctor app was flashed
> Please visit our community forums for help with this error:
https://community.particle.io/

Oh, and if I repeat the device doctor steps again, it says I’m in need of a system update. Rinse, repeat.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.