EasyVR speech recognition

I just like to point out that sending audio streams over cellular can become very costly, very quickly, depending on what kind of setup you’re using.

@Moors7 Thanks for pointing that out. My plan actually was to use the voice recognition locally.
Thank you

In that case, have at it :wink: There’s just a lot of voice recognition going on that’s cloud based, and I hadn’t checked the link :speak_no_evil:

LOL, I didnt mean to imply that I know what I am talking about!. Just investigating the possibility. I would like to be able to control my project locally with voice recognition. The cloud will serve to send sensor data and control via an app.

Thanks!

@jackpot, Github is down right now (DDOS attack) so I can’t look at the Arduino code. The Electron has several serial ports you can use. Once I look at the code, I’ll let you know what I think.

@peekay123, no hurry. Thank you VERY MUCH for your help and I look forward to your findings. In the mean time, I am busy hunting for information.

Thanks again

1 Like

@jackpot That is a really cool Voice Recognition module that I never knew existed. I have seen the text to voice chips but not the voice recognition units. I’ll have to order one up if Paul get’s the Arduino code ported over.

IBM Bluemix has IBM Watson Speech To Text & Text to Speech service which is very accurate, but it does require you to upload the audio file before it can be processed which would not be very good data wise on the Electron.

1 Like

Just throwing this in here, since it’s one of the options I’ve been considering: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seeed/respeaker-an-open-modular-voice-interface-to-hack
It offers both online and offline recognition, which is really nice. Then again, if I haven’t got an internet connection at home, there’s little use for the recognition since the receiving devices won’t be able to connect either :wink: With that in mind, I’m also considering the Amazon devices, since you can (apparantly) create custom skills. They could all still work in tandem with the Particle devices using their respective APIs :smile:

1 Like

@Moors7, I will take a look at your suggestion. Thank you. I believe you can create custom speaker independent commands with the included software for the EasyVR too.

@jackpot, the library requires a few tweaks to work but it will be straight forward. I’ll try to get on it this weekend. :grinning:

2 Likes

@peekay123 that is great news. Thank you very much for taking this on. I really appreciate the help.

@peekay123 I received my EasyVR and have been playing with it on an Arduino Mega 2560. It takes a bit of setting up but overall it works pretty well.

@jackpot, I’ll try and get the ported version up for you on github in the next couple of days.

1 Like

@peekay123, no hurry here. I am spending my time learning how to program and use the device for now. Just updating you on my progress. Thanks for the update and your time.

1 Like

@jackpot, looking at the code more closesly, I REALLY don’t like the way they have handled the serial devices in their library. They put hard #defines in function definitions and are really poorly designed IMO. I will need to clean things up to get the Particle Serial and Serial1 objects to work with the library. Argh!

1 Like

@peekay123 Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear this will give you more work to make it happen. I appreciate your efforts!

1 Like

@jackpot, I have the library compiling. The fix required less work than I thought. I’ll post the files to my github later.

2 Likes

@peekay123 Thanks for the update. I look forward to trying things out.

1 Like

@jackpot, here is the ported library though not setup for the IDE.

Let me know how it goes! :smile:

3 Likes

Will do, Thanks again!

1 Like