Can't flash my ExtTinker Firmware with new Core FW

Can it be that the recently activated firmware update interferes with previously working sketches?
In particular I’m now getting these error messages when verifying my extended Tinker FW (linked in https://community.spark.io/t/extended-android-spark-tinker-app-rgb-led-rx-tx-pins/2899 )

In file included from ../inc/spark_wiring.h:30:0,
  from ../inc/application.h:31,
  from mytinker.cpp:2:
 ../../core-common-lib/SPARK_Firmware_Driver/inc/config.h:12:2: warning: #warning "Defaulting to Release Build" [-Wcpp]
 obj/src/application.o: In function `tinkerAnalogWrite(String)':
 /spark/compile_server/shared/workspace/worker_2/core-firmware/build/../inc/spark_wiring_ipaddress.h:48: multiple definition of `tinkerAnalogWrite(String)'
 mytinker.o:/spark/compile_server/shared/workspace/worker_2/core-firmware/build/mytinker.cpp:161: first defined here
 obj/src/application.o: In function `tinkerAnalogRead(String)':
 /spark/compile_server/shared/workspace/worker_2/core-firmware/build/../src/application.cpp:126: multiple definition of `tinkerAnalogRead(String)'
 mytinker.o:/spark/compile_server/shared/workspace/worker_2/core-firmware/build/mytinker.cpp:130: first defined here
 obj/src/application.o: In function `tinkerDigitalWrite(String)':
 /spark/compile_server/shared/workspace/worker_2/core-firmware/build/../src/application.cpp:91: multiple definition of `tinkerDigitalWrite(String)'
 mytinker.o:/spark/compile_server/shared/workspace/worker_2/core-firmware/build/mytinker.cpp:87: first defined here
 obj/src/application.o: In function `tinkerDigitalRead(String)':
 /spark/compile_server/shared/workspace/worker_2/core-firmware/build/../src/application.cpp:64: multiple definition of `tinkerDigitalRead(String)'
 mytinker.o:/spark/compile_server/shared/workspace/worker_2/core-firmware/build/mytinker.cpp:52: first defined here
 collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
 make: *** [a432cd145731d4152ace899630b7f7daa219011848d236dc2c1d0c35d1df.elf] Error 1

Edit: Sure I could - and have done - rename the tinkerXXX functions to avoid interference with existing functions in application.cpp, but this was not required before.
Why is it now? Was this intended or has this behaviour just crept in unintentionally?

Did you add an #include "application.h" to your .cpp file? – Sorry if this is a silly question, but that was the most major recent IDE change

Thanks @Dave,

and nope, I have not included application.h :blush:

But I can’t even see reason for doing so, since I’m not actualy writing a .cpp. The one and only “file” I’m working on for this simple sketch is an .ino which I thought will go through preprocessing that will add - or atleast did add previously - all the required blurb to make it work (the .cpp file mentioned in the error output must be created from my .ino by your preprocessor).
And even when I add #include “application.h” my sketch does not build. Then I get even stranger results like

from dmytest.cpp:8:
 ../../core-common-lib/SPARK_Firmware_Driver/inc/config.h:12:2: warning: #warning "Defaulting to Release Build" [-Wcpp]
 dmytest.cpp:10:23: error: 'String' was not declared in this scope
 dmytest.cpp:11:24: error: 'String' was not declared in this scope
 dmytest.cpp:12:22: error: 'String' was not declared in this scope
 dmytest.cpp:13:23: error: 'String' was not declared in this scope
 dmytest.cpp:8:6: error: previous declaration of 'void setup()' with 'C++' linkage
 In file included from ../inc/spark_wiring.h:34:0,
 ../inc/spark_utilities.h:120:35: error: conflicts with new declaration with 'C' linkage
 dmytest.cpp:9:6: error: previous declaration of 'void loop()' with 'C++' linkage
 ../inc/spark_utilities.h:121:34: error: conflicts with new declaration with 'C' linkage
 dmytest.cpp: In function 'void setup()':
 dmytest.cpp:30:52: error: invalid conversion from 'int' to 'int (*)(String)' [-fpermissive]
...h

Could it be that now there is an overridable/override directive missing for the predefined application.cpp functions (e.g. tinkerAnalogWrite), which was there before?

Hmmm… Diving deeper into this, Okay, yes, you’re right. I’m not sure what changed recently, but the way user code is mixed with the firmware for builds hasn’t changed, so I’m not sure why this worked before on the build IDE and not now.

In your source code, I just changed those function names (which are in https://github.com/spark/core-firmware/blob/master/src/application.cpp ) and when they don’t conflict, things build normally.

Thanks,
David

@Dave, could it actually be, that :spark: application.cpp gets linked in now, where it wasn’t before?

Since any user FW would completely replace Tinker on the Core anyhow, there is absolutely no need to put any code from the original application.cpp into the user generated binary - or am I wrong?

Ahh, yes. Someone updated the compile-server2 branch, which previously had the application.cpp file zeroed out. Thank you for catching this, I’ll fix that when I get a chance.

Thanks,
David

Thanks @Dave!
I started to doubt myself :relieved:

Any news on this? I’m stuck with the same errors however my errors don’t change wether I include or not “application.h” and can’t compile.
I updated all libs from Github and compiled locally and nothing. It looks like it has something to do with the includes in wiring.cpp but they haven’t changed since long.

Cheers

from readxml.cpp:26:
/opt/gcc_arm/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.4/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/armv7-m/libg.a(lib_a-fstatr.o): In function `_fstat_r':
fstatr.c:(.text._fstat_r+0xe): undefined reference to `_fstat'
/opt/gcc_arm/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.4/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/armv7-m/libg.a(lib_a-writer.o): In function `_write_r':
writer.c:(.text._write_r+0x10): undefined reference to `_write'
/opt/gcc_arm/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.4/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/armv7-m/libg.a(lib_a-closer.o): In function `_close_r':
closer.c:(.text._close_r+0xc): undefined reference to `_close'
/opt/gcc_arm/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.4/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/armv7-m/libg.a(lib_a-isattyr.o): In function `_isatty_r':
isattyr.c:(.text._isatty_r+0xc): undefined reference to `_isatty'
/opt/gcc_arm/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.4/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/armv7-m/libg.a(lib_a-lseekr.o): In function `_lseek_r':
lseekr.c:(.text._lseek_r+0x10): undefined reference to `_lseek'
/opt/gcc_arm/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.7.4/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/armv7-m/libg.a(lib_a-readr.o): In function `_read_r':
readr.c:(.text._read_r+0x10): undefined reference to `_read'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [c64ce096332c164074560b17e73226e3c731ed1f5d24b4f7cd429c2c2ac2.elf] Error 1

Error: Could not compile. Please review your code.

victor, the include is “application.h” not .cpp or is that just a typo?

1 Like

just a typo :wink: I was fast correcting it, but you were faster answering!

1 Like

victor, any chance you can post your code so I can access it?

There you go http://pastebin.com/efT0gMrG

Hi @victor and @peekay123

This looks a lot like the problem in this thread that was fixed by a change to single-threading guard functions:

That problem was caused by a static global declaration, but I sure don’t see that here.

Why you need to do this?

#include <string.h>  

Arduino Strings are already pulled in by the application.h header and I don’t see a C string (char*) function that you are using.

1 Like

I didn’t know it was included in application.h. I deleted that include but still produces the same errors, both locally on Eclipse and on the web IDE

Victor, I just copied the code from your link into a web IDE app I called “crap” :wink: , edited out the #include “string.h” line and hit verify… Code verified! Great work. :open_mouth:

Can I ask what filename you used?

2 Likes

Hi @victor

I just grabbed this out of pastebin and it compiled locally just fine for me using tonight’s master repro.

Maybe it is time for the big hammer in all three directories:

git reset --hard
git pull

Be sure to copy your application.cpp before clobbering it!

1 Like

:open_mouth: well, thank you peekay and bko
I still don’t know what the problem was though. Locally, I even deleted and pulled the three libs with the osx Github app and in the web IDE it’s still not working. However, doing the git reset and pull got it working on Eclipse.
It’s a bit late here, I’ll test it tomorrow and see if it does what it’s intended to do.

Cheers!

PS: I got it. The code I posted was not exactly the code I was using. I omitted some debugging lines I had around on which I was using printf() (I coded it for c++ and then adapted to arduino) and the compiler doesn’t seem to like it

2 Likes