Breathing Magenta two new photons

I have two new photons just out of the boxes. both do the same thing. I get them connected to my wifi and they breathe cyan very briefly (for about 20 seconds I can see them as online on my android phone. Then they start doing something flashing white, flashing green, reboot, flash, yadda, yadda, which ultimately ends in a slow breathing magenta for both of the devices. If I do a factory reset, the same thing happens again.

I’ve not downloaded anything, just trying to get them to be “online” on my android phone so I can play with the inputs/outputs.

Suggestions are most welcome.

Breathing magenta means if it running in Safe mode where the Photon connects to the :cloud: but does not run the user firmware.

Did you managed to claim it? If you did, go to http://build.particle.io and flash an empty app. The Photon should now update it’s system firmware and everything so work well :smile:

Or if the Android app has a function to reflash the tinker app, you can use that as well :wink:

Please see this note about performing a factory reset:

I received my Photon last night, and eventually ended up in a breathing magenta state. I believe I did a factory reset among other reboot procedures to get it working, and the best I could do was the breathing magenta and the mobile app listing it as offline.

I selected "Reflash Tinker" from the phone, and the Photon came to life.

1 Like

Breathing magenta is a good sign. It means Hey, i’m connected to the :cloud: but no application code running.

2 Likes

I had three photons breathing magenta. To recover I

Put the Photon into blinking Yellow mode.
From the command line: particle update
From the web IDE flashed Blink LED
Ta-da, working.

2 Likes