I have a 5V boost regulator (TPS61030 - 5V/2A output) circuit connected to the Li+ of the Electron. All functions normal under light current loads. When I pull more than 100mA from the 5V regulator, the Electron battery appears to become electronically disconnected.
How can the battery - if plugged into the JST connector - no longer be functioning?
Observations (Malfunctioning State):
- PMIC responds to all I2C commands (no faults)
- Fuel gauge (0.15V and 0% state of charge)
- Battery is charged
- Multiple batteries were tested (none are recognized)
- No parts are getting hot
- Reproducible on two Electrons
- I can’t see on the schematics how a direct connection from BAT to Li+ could be broken?!?
Symptoms (Malfunctioning state):
USB disconnected - Battery connected:
- no voltage on Li+
- Electron not running (no LED or anything)
USB connected - Battery connected:
- all internal Electron functions are normal (5V regulator not working of course)
- PMIC has no fault status
- PMIC charging status LED on (not blinking)
- PMIC charging status LED stays on (not blinking), even when battery removed