Argon, particle-cli & WPA2 Enterprise (PEAP/MSCHAPv2)

Any advance on WPA2 Enterprise on Argon? It would help our our project, thanks!

Unfortunately not, the priority has been BLE and NFC for 1.2.0.

Just to confirm - do you have a photon and are you currently able to connect using WPA2 Enterprise with PEAP/MSCHAPv2? If so, it would be helpful to share the router and Radius server used.

Is there any movement on Argon WPA2 Enterprise (PEAP/MSCHAPv2) connection? This is essential for using it in industry.

1 Like

For the photon at least, Device OS 1.4.1 has been a huge step forward in terms of WPA/WPA2 Enterprise working. It is a very complicated area - at least the setups of Enterprise WAP/Radius Servers are a lot more variable than with WPA2. This experience with 1.4.1 should make it quicker to implement Enterprise security on the Argon with its ESP32 based WiFi comms. For an exact timescale you would need to get a reply from someone in Product Management at Particle.

Thanks for the update. I want to use the Argon’s as a gateway for Xenon in a mesh network connected to eduroam. That alone would be awesome for education applications. Much smaller target with respect to WPA2 Enterprise etc. I’m guessing it’s not possible to set this up on the Argon’s in code using wifi.setCredentials?

I would expect that the same WiFiCredentials class will be implemented. [https://docs.particle.io/reference/device-os/firmware/photon/#wificredentials-class]

I will let you know about eduroam soon - I am not expecting any issues myself but I haven’t setup a test AP yet.

On Aug 26 I filed an internal enhancement request asking for WPA/2-E “sooner rather than later” on the Argon. It has not yet been scheduled, but I periodically bring it up just to keep visibility on it. I’ve spent so much time trying to debug this stuff over the last year with various customers (with 1.4.1 being the first real progress we’ve made in that time), that I’m not going to easily give up championing it. I can’t promise anything for the moment, but I did want you to know that it’s very much on my mind quite a bit.

BTW the workaround that’s in 1.4.1+ is just not messing with trying to negotiate using TLS 1.2 at all, and using 1.1 or even (if I understand things correctly) 1.0 instead. Obviously that’s not ideal, but you should know that TLS 1.2 may never work with the Photon.

Hopefully the story will be a lot better with the Argon.

3 Likes

Thanks much appreciated!

Did you ever receive an update on this?

Sorry about my delayed response. If you’re asking whether I’ve heard anything more about getting WPAx Enterprise implemented on the Argon, the answer is no. I have asked the engineering team again about what the plan is, and I will report back with what I find out.

Thanks! I hope you get good news.

What I got back is that it will not happen in Q1, but it’s definitely on their list, per the story I created as mentioned above. Sorry I don’t have better news!

I will continue to push them with the hope of a Q2 delivery.

Thank you!

+1 for WPA Enterprise support. I just bought 5 Argons with the intention of using them on our University wifi (Eduroam).

Can I suggest updating the support page (https://docs.particle.io/support/particle-devices-faq/wpa2-enterprise/) to note that Argon does not support WPA2 Enterprise connections?

Dave

Photon with device OS 1.4.x and later definitely works with eduroam. It has taken since 0.7.0 to get this working - about 18 months.

I am not sure Particle has WPA Enterprise support in the development backlog for the Argon before 1.6.0. It is a different development than lift n shift from the Photon device OS because the network stack is different - due to mesh and ethernet support!

David, that is an excellent suggestion and I will file a doc change request to that end. Thanks!

I also have a handful of Argons who really want to live on eduroam. Adding this support would be awesome.

m

1 Like

Has there been any update?

@ParticleD, is there any update on this? It seems like it has been in the pipeline for 18-24 months. I have a small handful of devices sitting in a university basement basically doing nothing until I can det them connected.

WPA2 Enterprise for Argon is not currently on the 6-month roadmap. It hasn’t been eliminated as a possibility, but is not a priority at this time.