Adafruit 16 x 32 LED matrix only displaying pure red or green

@peekay123 Let me know if you need something more specific

@blaisezfaire, can you also show your power setup please.

@peekay I won’t have access to it until tomorrow morning. It’s the 5V 2A power supply sold by Adafruit plugged into the DC splitter that has positive and negative terminals. Those are connected to the positive and negative on the cord that hooks up to the back of the display

@blaisezfaire, I really need to see the whole setup :wink:

@peekay123 okay, will do that first thing tomorrow morning! Thanks!

1 Like

@peekay123 The jumper cables are soldered to the red & black cable beneath the tape

First I’d loose those whimpy jumper wires and directly screw the supply wires into the connector.
On my displays I had forked cable shoes which I’d just screw with one of the prongs in and left the other one stick out at the side and with the other one just the other way round (but this is only good for temporary testing!).

Like this

The voltage drop with these jumper wires at 2A might be quite considerable.
There is a good reason why these displays come with wires the diameter they have.

Yeah, we had a feeling that was affecting it. We’ll have to cut the rings so we can screw them in to the splitter. Thanks!

@blaisezfaire, I also noticed that the power ground is not shared with the Photon! On my RGB Matrix shield (which @ScruffR shows in his picture), I power BOTH the Photon and the panel from the 5v 2A supply. As it stands, you now have a potential “floating ground” condition between the Photon and the panel. Please reconsider how you power everything :wink:

2 Likes