Tiny ePaper shield for Photon

What is the resolution of the screen in the video?

Will larger screens be available?

Does the Paperino have to come printed on all the screens bezels?

1 Like

@RWB, I’m sure they can customize your displays to say “Ryanino” :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@kennethlimcp The displays & shield will become available at crowdsupply.com in about two months.

@RWB The resolution is 148x70 pixel (1.1"). Larger screens (e.g. 4.0") are for sure possible but software needs to be ported to work with Photon before. You can run the ePaper screen without any bezzel just with a tiny driver PCB. I am planning to offer such a bezzel-less “tinker set” at crwodsupply too since you are not the first asking for that :wink:

@peekay123 What would be the specification for “Ryanino” :smile:

2 Likes

@RobP, that’s easy. The Ryanino has to be a BIG display and must be low power. It’s got to be sunlight readable also. Oh, and it needs to be really cool, just like yours!

2 Likes

Sweet. I’ll pick one up from your crowdsupply once it’s live so I have one to play with along with the Sharp Memory LCD’s.

Be sure to post a link when it’s live.

1 Like

Awesome project! :slight_smile: Since we’re on the topic of tiny E-ink displays… Adafruit makea a slick E-ink Pi Hat for the Raspberry Pi Zero: https://www.adafruit.com/products/3335 I thought they had one for their fether line too, I guess I was wrong. Not promoting other products, this just reminded me of that.

1 Like

Ok the library now supports the BLE-based Bluz microcontroller too (besides Photon & Electron). Looking next at the Raspberry Pi Zero…

The campaign at Crowsupply will start in about ten days.
If you are interested pls subscribe here: http://bit.ly/2ot9fKw

Rob

2 Likes

Is the display (just the display itself) going to be easily available for purchase?

1 Like

Sure you can get just the display alone, e.g. as a spare part or if you want to drive several backplanes in parallel with your own PCB design. Btw it’s glass-free, so only 500µm thick and 1.2grams light!

2 Likes

I am also a big fan of a huge e-ink display if that’s what your company is going to offer eventually :smiley:

1 Like

@kennethlimcp Increase by factor x2 would be a 2.1" display… is that what you mean by huge? :slight_smile: Yes larger screens are possible once the initial Paperino project is finished…

Btw, the campaign at crowdsupply is alive since today: https://t.co/mQRugD7rZ1

4 Likes

I’m excited for the larger displays! What are the maximum sizes that you plan on supporting? I’m still searching for an affording 10 inch e Ink display…

1 Like

Giving this a bump so others can find it as I did and order. Prefect for a simple status display project I wanted of something rarely updated. It’ll be fun to see how low the power budget can get.
Congrats on the Hackster.io email mention, even it it was at the very bottom.

3 Likes

Bump on “Ryanino” - thx to Rob for his support!

2 Likes

Hi Robert! Thank you for posting this. Can you provide a link to the Sparkfun OLED screen you are using and the library for the Particle Photon.

Thanks a lot!!!

1 Like

@Gadget

1 Like

@gadget, the units are NOT OLED! They use super low-power e-paper displays. :wink:

1 Like

I believe these e-paper screens could even generate energy. :slight_smile:

@gadget The lib can be found here or more easily within the Particle+Arduino Library Manager by searching for PL_microEPD.

Currently playing around with a new lib release. It adds support for more (larger) ePaper screens - Demo with 1.1", 1.4", 2.1" & 3.1" EPDs. Will let you know when they become available…

1 Like

@robp The bigger size screens are Nice!

The 3.1" wide version is a unique shape. How much would that sell for approx?

1 Like

@RWB The larger ones would roughly be the price of the 1.1" EPDs in the campaign plus the price of a beer (in a pub).

Btw they are bendable to some extend, for the 1.1" size this was not really relevant since the screen is so small. But for the upcoming larger ones one could think about nice new product housings with non-flat screen designs. I’t would be great to see more ideas like this for example.

2 Likes