Change Photon SSID

Hi @henkep, that makes perfect sense, sorry wasn’t thinking clearly, and thinking back to how things were for very early versions of the mobile SDK.

The format of the SSID in memory is

1-byte for the length of the SSID prefix
N-bytes for the SSID prefix.

This is something that we’ll add to firmware so the SSID prefix can be set from code.

1 Like

No worries. :smile:

Any ETA on when that firmware change can be in effect?

//Henrik

1 Like

Any news wrt this matter? This is something that is critical for the application I am currently working on as well.

There is a way to set the SSID using DFU on each photon - does that help as an interim solution until we add this to firmware?

@mdma Yes! :smile:

Ok, here’s the deets on setting the SSID. The SSID is made of two parts - a prefix and the device serial.

Setting the SSID Prefix

The SSID prefix can be set by writing the prefix value to the device.

First, create a file that contains the length of the prefix, followed by the prefix itself. In bash, this is done like this:

echo -e -n "\x03Rad" > ssid_prefix

The \x03 writes a literal value 3 (not the ASCII character ‘3’) to the file - 3 being the length of our prefix “Rad”. The value is specified on the command line as hex, so values over 10 start ‘A’, ‘B’ etc… The maximum allowed length of the prefix is 24.

(There’s no need to add a trailing ‘-’ to the prefix, the device automatically adds a ‘-’ between the prefix and the 6-digit serial.)

Then flash this to the device like this:

dfu-util -d 2b04:d006 -a 1 -s 1826 -D ssid_prefix

Next time the device enters softAP mode it will use the given prefix.

Setting the Device Serial

The Device Serial can be set by writing the 6-digit serial to the device.

First, create a file that contains the 6-digit device serial. In bash, this is done like this:

echo -n "ABCDEF" > serial

Then flash the serial to the device:

dfu-util -d 2b04:d006 -a 1 -s 1852:6 -D serial

Next time the device enters softAP mode, it will use the given serial.

5 Likes

Ok, so I’ve just done this on a Photon running 0.4.4.

Both flash operations completed correctly. But:

1. The SSID change works, using your example ("\x3Rad"). But then I tried "\x7Example", and it reverts back to “Photon.”
  2. The device serial does update, but the broadcast AP only includes the first 4 characters of the 6-char serial.

In fact, perplexingly, nothing except "\x3Rad" works. I tried "\x3Exa", and it just comes out as “Photon”.

Not sure what to suggest. I just tried it here with a 12-character SSID and it worked. Double check the contents of the ssid_prefix file that’s produced with a hex editor (or use xxd to dump to binary) to be sure nothing spooky has crept in there.

Mine is a 13 byte file that looks like this:

0000000: 0c4d 6174 7468 6577 2d4d 444d 41         .Matthew-MDMA

Here you see the first byte is 0x0c - 12 - for the length of the prefix followed by the 12 prefix name characters.

1 Like

Yes! Ok, it seems the problem was integers < 10 in hex representation need to be specified using a leading 0 when saved to the SSID prefix file.

So, for example, "\x7Example" was getting saved as 7e78 616d ... instead of 0745 7861 .... The fix was saving the file as "\x07Example".

Which OS are you using? For me the single char was working on OSX…but so does 0 padded, so let’s stick to that. I’ll edit the original post.

Ubuntu 15.04

The problem was probably that the ‘E’ in ‘Example’ is a valid hex digit. Whereas the ‘M’ in ‘Matthew-MDMA’ is not.

So, \x7Example was getting interpreted as \x7E + xample, but since ‘M’ isn’t a hex digit (and likewise for ‘R’ in the ‘Rad’ example), the shell was stopping with the last valid hex character, to give \xb + Matthew-MMDA.

This only seems to interpolate the first 1 or 2 hex digits, so \xdeadbeef results in \xde + adbeef, and not the 32 bit value of 3,735,928,559.

4 Likes

You’re absolutely right! It did bother me that \x3Rad had worked (which was all I had to go on initially) but not others. I guess it really just means you definitely got pad those 0’s to make sure the integers get parsed correctly.

I have following the instructions:

I have installed the DFU driver (windows x64)

The prompt, etc.

When I write:

#echo -e -n "\x03Rad" > ssid_prefix (It's OK)

When I try to upload in the dfu:

#dfu-util -d 2b04:d006 -a 1 -s 1826 -D ssid_prefix

I receive the following:

Copyright 2005-2008 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2012 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util@lists.gnumonks.org

Filter on vendor = 0x2b04 product = 0xd006
Opening DFU capable USB device... ID 2b04:d006
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Found DFU: [2b04:d006] devnum=0, cfg=1, intf=0, alt=1, name="@DCT Flash   /0x000
00000/01*016Kg"
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting #1 ...
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 4096
No valid DFU suffix signature
#Warning: File has no DFU suffix
DfuSe interface name: "DCT Flash   "
Downloading to address = 0x00000722, size = 18
File downloaded successfully

When I reset the device and set it on listening mode it continues appearing the standard name.

I have tried with the lib… driver for photon dfu and with the windows… driver which Zadig propose. Both options generates the same. I think it is not related with it.

I have also tried to modify the serial following your example and the name of the serial has been modified to:

Photon--n "

So, it seems the name has been (-n "), the four characters (instead of 6) before “ABCDEF”. I have modified the echo serial line from:

echo -n "ABCDEF" > serial

to:

echo ABCDEF > serial

And when I try with:
dfu-util -d 2b04:d006 -a 1 -s 1852:6 -D serial

The SSID has changed to: Photon-ABCD

In the serial it seems that the maximum is 4 letters (unless in firmware 0.4.7). It is not a problem for me.

I do not know if something related with the SSID Prefix has changed @mdma

We are ending a product development and this is possible the last step. Any help will be hardly appreciated.

Thank you very much

@Moors7: in the future, PLEASE use some formatting in your posts. This one was really hard to read.

I have just achieved in a Ubuntu 14.04 machine without problems :smiley:

It would be great if you could complete @mdma instructions for Windows User.

Thanks

@mdma could you share the ETA when it will be available via code? We are planning to ship a 1000 particle based products to our customers and it’s going to be painful for us to rename each of them via DFU mode. I have the same scenario as @henkep

I just did this today with the code below.

System.set(SYSTEM_CONFIG_SOFTAP_PREFIX, "Gizmo");

Edit: removed the code to check the value was already set since @mdma mentioned that System.set does it by itself.

2 Likes

Do you need the check? System.set() checks if the data to be written is the same as what is already present, so it’s not causing flash wear.

I updated my post. Thanks.